It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
(female)

Speced tchr HB User
Unhappy Dizzy, loud ringing in right ear

This is the worst feeling ! I am not spinning, but feel disoriented and foggy with loud ringing in right ear., Have been told that I have ETD....but also have arthritis in neck, high up at base of skull. It is all so confusing !
I'm sure it is all related, but reading your posts tell me that nothing much is out there to help us !
My ENT says "We don't have much available to help with inner ear problems" and "tinnitus". Very disheartening if you ask me !
The feeling makes me panicky and I am a teacher and work full-time.
Any answers out there ?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
(male)

CharlotteY HB User
Re: Dizzy, loud ringing in right ear

I have read countless stories of people with similar complaints: a spaced-out feeling, dizziness, unsteadiness, tinnitus and other problems you haven't mentioned (pressure sensation in head and/or ear, sometimes hearing loss, neck pain). There are many different vestibular problems that manifest with these same symptoms so it can be very difficult to receive a correct diagnosis.

Conditions such as MAV (migraines), vestibular neuronitis, labs, cervico-genic vertigo, post-BPPV syndrome and Meniere's Disease all have very similar symptoms with just a few hallmarks that stand out.

I have been seen more doctors/physical therapists/chiropractors/accupunturists than I can count. Each one kind of scratched their head and then threw out a guess as to what I had.

I'm now just over six months with my progressive symptoms and nothing has helped. I now believe that modern medicine has not advanced enough to be of much assistance in the majority of vestibular issues. The good news is that most people do eventually recover on their own.

My suggestion is to not return to the ENT; they are useless when it comes to vestibular problems. Seek out an oto-neurologist (and ENT or neurologists with fellowship training in vestibular disorders). There is usually at least one in major metropolitan areas.

Best of luck to you. I know first-hand how disruptive this can be to one's life. The odds are in your favor that you will get better. Most people do recover so take heart in that. You probably will and then will emerge on the "other side" with more empathy for others and a greater appreciation of your health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply