It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

miss93 HB User
Does this sound like symptoms of a balance/inner ear problem?

Any advice please, it would be very much appreciated?
For a number of years now I keep getting this strange feeling and its very hard to describe.
The closest I can describe it too is a dizzy/lightheaded feeling or a rising floaty sensation. Sometimes it feels like I'm tipping backwards. It will happen suddenly out of the blue and it comes in waves lasting a few seconds. I get very disorientated and anxious because I don't know whats happening. I start to get agitated and panicky. I find it very difficult to concentrate and focus.

I have had this on and off now for about 6 years. Ive had my eyes checked they were fine. Ears checked, they said I might have a sensitive vestibule in the inner ear. Blood work to check for anemia or thyroid problems. I've even had an ecg and that was fine. I'm just none the wiser and very confused.

* I've had this coming out of the movies, in a lift, getting of a bus, in class, walking around in the city, sitting down to eat, on a plane at night

Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Does this sound like symptoms of a balance/inner ear problem?

I am no doctor, but do think that if the vestibular system is off, it will effect one's balance. I also know that allergies can effect one's balance. Have you looked into this? Allergies can effect the ears, eyes, balance, thinking and you name it. I was never aware of the fact that they could effect the balance until the allergy season got so bad here.

The Following User Says Thank You to danabarb For This Useful Post:
miss93 (11-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

ann775 HB Userann775 HB User

Have you seen an ENT? I have ear stones (type of vertigo) Forget the medical term. Sounds a lot like what you are describing.

The Following User Says Thank You to ann775 For This Useful Post:
miss93 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
(female)

miss93 HB User

Thanks for answering. How do you get tested for this?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
(female)

miss93 HB User

Thanks for answering. Hmm. I know I have been getting itchy eyes and sneezing in the summer time but I think that's hay fever. My problem is that this can happen anytime of the year and it just happens out if the blue. Unless its something I'm eating. I'm not sure. I've cut down my caffeine and sugar intake quite a lot incase it's related to that. But I am still not sure if its had any effect yet.
Btw I started with this when I was 12/13 years old so it's been happening for quite a while now. Is it possible to be allergic to something and not know till that age?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
(female)

miss93 HB User

Thanks for answering. Hmm. I know I have been getting itchy eyes and sneezing in the summer time but I think that's hay fever. My problem is that this can happen anytime of the year and it just happens out if the blue. Unless its something I'm eating. I'm not sure. I've cut down my caffeine and sugar intake quite a lot incase it's related to that. But I am still not sure if its had any effect yet.
Btw I started with this when I was 12/13 years old so it's been happening for quite a while now. Is it possible to be allergic to something and not know till that age?

The following user gives a hug of support to miss93:
ann775 (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
(female)

I do have year round allergies. Don't really think they are connected.Though my EMT has me taking allergy pills in an attempt to keep my ear open. My dizzy (vertigo spells ) alway begin with both my ears closing as room spins and I get nauseous. Nausea can las for hours. It is not fun! So ask to be referred to an ENT . He or she can do some testing.They use a special maneuver to test you. There is no real treatment I am afraid. My DR said it would go away. Mine has not. Been maybe year, not sure. Less often but still happening.
Maybe others will respond soon. I would like to hear more about this too. I posted on another bd a few days ago with no responses yet. I am a newbie too. guess it takes a while. Hang in there.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
(female)

miss93 HB User

Thanks for your reply Anne. I know it's extremely frustrating. I find it very difficult to describe how I feel when it happens. I think my doctor feels it must be anxiety since he hasn't found anything else. But I just feel its not that. It is a very physical thing with no connection to my thoughts and feelings. It seems to be very random which makes it even more confusing. How would you describe vertigo? Is it like being spun around with your eyes closed? I ask this because my doctor said that being dizzy and vertigo are not the same but I can't describe it any other way. It's definitely something to do with balance I feel though. Fingers crossed we will find the answers soon.

Lauren

Old 11-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
(female)

miss93 HB User

Thanks for your reply Anne. I know it's extremely frustrating. I find it very difficult to describe how I feel when it happens. I think my doctor feels it must be anxiety since he hasn't found anything else. But I just feel its not that. It is a very physical thing with no connection to my thoughts and feelings. It seems to be very random which makes it even more confusing. How would you describe vertigo? Is it like being spun around with your eyes closed? I ask this because my doctor said that being dizzy and vertigo are not the same but I can't describe it any other way. It's definitely something to do with balance I feel though. Fingers crossed we will find the answers soon.

Lauren

Old 11-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
(female)

Lauren,
Well it just so happens I had a bad vertigo spell last evening. I am also in the middle of my period and feeling a little lightheaded from that. So glad I am home due to Veterans Day as I am not feeling myself.
Dizziness and vertigo are different but used interchangeably by many. Vertigo I can tell you, is the feeling that the room is spinning around you and you are spinning with it. My type of Vertigo is called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo or BPPV. Look it up on the web .The Mayo Clinic has a good explanation. My Dr. explains mine as being due to ear stones that become loose and thus mess with my balance. They are part of our equilibrium center . I have read that BPPV can be bought on by certain movements of the head. People can supposably figure out what movements trigger theirs. But I have not. There are maneuvers that can be done to alleviate some symptoms supposably. I even saw an ad for a device one puts on their head that guides you through such maneuvers. I forget what it is called. I probably need to go back to my Dr or at least email him. What kind of a physician are you seeing for this Lauren? You really need to see a ENT (Ear Nose and Throat DR.)
Lets continue to share anything we learn about this. I hope you find what is causing your spells soon. Does my description of vertigo sound familiar?

Reply Reply