It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

emmaemily HB User
BPPV? Dizzy related to TMJ? or injury

I had a sudden disturbing extreme dizzy/spinning spell - woke with it and could not lift head off pillow or stand - was extremely nauseous. Went to ER in ambulance. Was unable to walk properly - etc. 5 or so hours later it was improving after sleeping for 3 hours, however, a week later I still have it - dizzy if i lean forward, move my head, lie down etc. Also some nausea too and other symptoms I also am not myself, tired, lack ability to focus as before and work as well etc. I am now looking for a doc/someone in the bay area - but will travel anywhere -to get the Epley Maneuver done. Do you know a good doctor who has a strong success rate with treating this? I was diagnosed only upon my symptoms in the ER and have not had any testing. I am 52. I did have a tennis ball accidentally thrown at my jaw, and it hurt a few days before. I also have pretty bad TMJ - not treated - and wonder if either of these conditions could have caused the BPPV if this is what I have. So looking for docs who treat - look at both the TMJ and BPPV and who do the necessary testing - thanks! REally cannot function like this and need to get back to work, and take care of kids too.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
Re: BPPV? Dizzy related to TMJ? or injury

EmmaEmily, welcome to the boards. You can do the Epley maneuver yourself as it is very easy to do at least until you can see a doctor that will do it for you. I find that laying across a bed with the head hanging over the edge works good. If the symptoms started after the trauma that you suffered, then it may be related. The rocks/stones in your ear may have been thrown off and so the Epley maneuver will probably work.

It may also be that the impact on the jaw may have pushed the jaw into the inner ear thus causing inflammation to the inner/middle ear. It may also be that when you got hit by the ball your head was thrown back and it threw your neck off.

Are you suffering from any neck pain? Any headaches? You may want to try Bengaid on your neck and see if when it numbs the neck your dizziness goes away or it lessens. The fact that you could not move your head from the pillow might point to this.

By the way, when you were taken to the hospital, did they do a CT-scan of the head or jaw area? Did they prescribe any medication? In the meantime, try Chamomile tea or Ginger and see if it helps with the symptoms.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-31-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
bppv, dizzyness, tmj