It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User
Question birth control and dizziness

Hi all,
I've been dealing with vestibular problems for at least 15 years now on and off. I was initially told I had labyrinthitis and felt like I was on a boat (swaying sensation) 24/7 for 6 months. It got better and then I didn't have a relapse for years. Since then I go on and off with moments of not feeling totally steady, so I know my compensation isn't solid.

About 2 months ago I went on birth control. I did fine the first month but this second month I started feeling that swaying sensation again. I stopped the birth control yesterday and I hope I feel better soon.

Anyway feel this way?
Joy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
(female)

seapoppy HB User
Re: birth control and dizziness

Hello Joy,

I'm a newbie here.
It is very rare, in internet searches/research, to come across someone like you, who is patterning my own experience.
Anyway, I'm in the UK, in Scotland, I'm 51, have had permanent tinnitus and the coming and going dizziness for over 30 years - swaying a little on my feet, bouncing/wobbly/shifts of vision when its bad, general feeling of too much movement of walls etc as I move around, bit like a hand held camera, but not quite as bad. Never fall over, and people never know there's anything wrong, never stopped me doing anything, but caused me a lot of distress at times, self analyzing, wondering what I was doing somehow to cause it, as medical investigations proved fruitless, just finding out there is some small damage to my right ear.

My dizziness sounds incredibly close to your own experience in its behavior, regarding it coming and going for years at a time, without understanding why. I recently had ten years of being clear, then it came back again for the last few months, at the same time as a mid life crisis. The dizziness/imbalance has already improved, with some attitude changes. At first I was dismayed, angry, anxious, the whole lot. I didn't want to go down the medical route again (hadn't helped much anyway), so decided to try to find a new approach to it for myself. I found some info on 'Psycho-physiological dizziness syndrome' by Sarah Edelman, which is the closest I've come to an approach I can believe in, rather than the old VRT. I believe that something triggers the dizziness (physical or emotional), then the brain takes over monitoring it all the time, and this 'hyper -vigilence' increases it, with anxiety thrown into the mix, to keep it hanging around. This relates also to my experience of handling tinnitus flare ups, with the same philosophy lying behind tinnitus retraining therapy. Acceptance lies at the heart of it all, then the brain stops monitoring it all the time to increase the stimuli, so the symptoms reduce - I hope this is making sense.

I can't relate to the birth control meds experience, I've always tried to avoid taking meds for anything whenever possible, but it does sound like they triggered you.I was on some low dose antidepressants to help with the mid life crisis, and would suspect they didn't help my dizziness at all. I came off them asap.

Anyway, this post has probably been long enough, so I'm glad you're out there, if you know what I mean, and I hope your dizziness fizzles out again for you. But rest assured, you're not the only one out there with dizziness that comes and goes for years at a time!

Wishing you well,

Seapoppy

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply