It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

MichelleBer HB User
HELP!!!! Ears blocked, sinuses swollen & vertigo for 1 1/2 months

Hi - My sinuses filled up on 12/15 & I had a nasty cold. I started feeling off balance/dizzy right around this time. I waited out the cold & it never really subsided. After a while, I went to my Primary Care who prescribed a strong antibiotic for 2 weeks along with Veramist (nasal steroid). At this time, I was pretty off balance/dizzy. There was no change with the treatment.

I went to see an ENT last week, who said my sinuses looked VERY swollen. He put me on Prednisone for 15 days. Today is day 10 & I am no different & quite possibly worse. I am not sure if the off balance/dizzy is worse or if I am just becoming obsessed with it!! I have no headaches. My vision is blurred if I looked down, then up quickly but it doesn't stay blurred.

I saw the ENT today as a follow up (and because I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown) and he doesn't think this is related to my sinuses at all now since he believes that the Prednisone would have cleared it. They are trying to fit me in for inner ear testing, balance testing & hearing testing next week & said that depending on what they show, he may want an MRI. This completely freaked me out as I have been worried that there is something wrong with my brain since this will not GO AWAY!!

I am very afraid now. Reading this board has made me feel somewhat better since it seems like I am not the only one this is happening or has happened to.

Any thoughts you all may have would be greatly appreciated. I am at such a low point right now, I can't describe it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
(female)

Saracharles HB User
Re: HELP!!!! Ears blocked, sinuses swollen & vertigo for 1 1/2 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleBer View Post
Hi - My sinuses filled up on 12/15 & I had a nasty cold. I started feeling off balance/dizzy right around this time. I waited out the cold & it never really subsided. After a while, I went to my Primary Care who prescribed a strong antibiotic for 2 weeks along with Veramist (nasal steroid). At this time, I was pretty off balance/dizzy. There was no change with the treatment.

I went to see an ENT last week, who said my sinuses looked VERY swollen. He put me on Prednisone for 15 days. Today is day 10 & I am no different & quite possibly worse. I am not sure if the off balance/dizzy is worse or if I am just becoming obsessed with it!! I have no headaches. My vision is blurred if I looked down, then up quickly but it doesn't stay blurred.

I saw the ENT today as a follow up (and because I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown) and he doesn't think this is related to my sinuses at all now since he believes that the Prednisone would have cleared it. They are trying to fit me in for inner ear testing, balance testing & hearing testing next week & said that depending on what they show, he may want an MRI. This completely freaked me out as I have been worried that there is something wrong with my brain since this will not GO AWAY!!

I am very afraid now. Reading this board has made me feel somewhat better since it seems like I am not the only one this is happening or has happened to.

Any thoughts you all may have would be greatly appreciated. I am at such a low point right now, I can't describe it.
I have/had this problem ... exactly as you describe.when the prednisone failed to help, my Dr said he could then make the diagnosis as silent LPR.This is a type of acid reflux which attacks the throat which causes a severe build up of mucus and fluid within the sinuses and inner ears.At first I had a hard time with such a paradigm shift but now after research and PPIs I know I have this and I am much better.Also read Dr Kurt Barrett.(I had the awful dizziness for months and if I am not careful with diet and medicine it comes back on occasion) best of luck.

Last edited by Saracharles; 02-13-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
(female)

Saracharles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracharles View Post
I have/had this problem ... exactly as you describe.when the prednisone failed to help, my Dr said he could then make the diagnosis as silent LPR.This is a type of acid reflux which attacks the throat which causes a severe build up of mucus and fluid within the sinuses and inner ears.At first I had a hard time with such a paradigm shift but now after research and PPIs I know I have this and I am much better.Also read Dr Kurt Barrett.(I had the awful dizziness for months and if I am not careful with diet and medicine it comes back on occasion) best of luck.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

MichelleBer HB User

Thanks for the information. My ENT did give me something for the reflux but I have no idea if it's actually doing anything. One of the tests that they gave me last week showed that the crystals in my right ear are not moving properly or are moving improperly. It was literally the last test that they did. So right now, I am waiting for the call back from them to say what my next steps are. The vertigo has subsided a little bit (although today is not a good day & I have a feeling it is connected to the barometric pressure as there is a storm coming & this is the 3rd time that I have noticed it is worse when the weather is bad or about to be bad). I am VERY relieved to at least have an idea of what is causing this and hopeful that we can get it under control.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
(female)

Saracharles HB User

Good to hear.What is the name of the tests for the crystal imbalance? Perhaps you will be rid of the dizziness with epy maneuver?? I wish you the best.Chronic vertigo is just awful.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
(female)

MichelleBer HB User

I believe it is called VNG. You wear goggles (with blinders on them so it's dark) and they track your eye movements. She tilted the chair back & had me turn my head to the right & hold it there, eyes open (staring at the dark inside of the goggles that have cameras in them). Then sat me up & asked me how I felt. Dizziness & nauseated bigtime. That is when she said that the test picked up on the issue. It was fine for the left ear. This test was specific to the inner ear crystals. The others were inner ear fluid movement, eyes (looking for neurological issues) & hearing. All those were fine. From the paperwork that she gave me, it does look like they will do the Eply thing & some other Physical Therapy type stuff.

Reply Reply