It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

mommie34 HB User
Unhappy dizziness and imbalance

Hello Everyone,

I really need help and advice concerning my dizziness. It all started after I had a miscarriage in January. I had a basic d and c procedure and I also had a tubal ligation. After about five weeks I was completely recovered from both procedures. In late January I was in my kitchen, and all of a sudden I felt very dizzy. Well, this went on for a few days and I decided to see my family doctor. My family doctor was concerned that I had a stroke. She said I hadn't had a stroke and overall I seemed healthy. She gave me a prescription for valium. A few days later I noticed I had more symptoms. I started experiencing terrible headaches, light sensitivity, tinnitus, and I had completely lost my appetite. I went back to my family doctor and she said I had fluid in my ears, so she prescribed Flonase. She said to take the Flonase once a day for two weeks. I tried the Flonase and it really had no affect. I was still suffering with this floating feeling. After a few weeks the headaches, tinnitus, and light sensitivity had gone. Now the only thing I was experiencing was this floating dizziness. I made a decision to see an ear nose and throat doctor. He looked into my ears and said everything looked fine. So I found another ear nose and throat doctor who specialized in dizziness. After the examination, he told me my thyroid seemed a little swollen and I would have to have testing done to find out the problem. He decided on the caloric test. I was not at all happy with his decision. I got back online and tried to find other doctors. A few weeks later I noticed that I was still dizzy but only when I was sitting. As long as I was standing and moving around I felt pretty normal. But as soon as I stopped my activities the floating feeling would start. I am so frustrated. I'm 33 years old, I have four children and I also care for elderly mother who's almost eighty years old. I'm lost and I don't know what to do. I have read on some websites that my thyroid could be making me dizzy. But I believe its an inner ear problem. If someone can offer me some advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User
Re: dizziness and imbalance

Hi Mommie34

Sorry to hear youre having a bad time. There could a range of things going on, but one which really struck me was stress and anxiety. I completely underestimated what these both can do to a human being. Anxiety/Stress can both cause floating feelings, Dizziness, Headaches and Light Sensitivity.

Another condition you may be experiencing right now is a condition known as "Migraine Associated Vertigo" (MAV). This would explain all of your symptoms. Migraines can be caused by a change in the hormones, so perhaps after having the tubal ligation it made your body react differently than what it used to somehow?? I dont have any experience but its one possible reason.

Stress and Anxiety can cause migraines also as can other things like diet, vitamin deficiencies and lack of sleep/rest/relaxation. This can all be difficult when youve got a lot to deal with in your life.

If he said youre thyroid was swollen slightly, a blood test may rule out anything going on. It would also look into anything sinister which may have happened after your tubal ligation or otherwise.

I dont know much about MAV, but I do know a lot about vertigo. The first thing I would say to do is to search the differnce between dizziness and vertigo. Is it lightheadness youre experencing? Is it Syncope (Faintness) or a Spinning/Moving Sensation (Vertigo). Some conditions can mimic others, and so is always worth checking up with a good doctor about your overall health status first. Another possibility could well also be inner ear infection (labyrinthitis/Vestibular Neuronitis).

If you want to chat I will try to reply as soon as possible.

Chris

Last edited by boic; 04-28-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
(female)

dizzymommy HB User

Sounds a lot like MAV to me. Have you had migraines in the past? And/or motion sickness as a child?? The first time I had symptoms of MAV was after a miscarriage. I was teaching and we went on a field trip via bus. When we arrived back at school and I got off the bus, everything looked as if it were slanted and I felt very dizzy and off. Those symptoms subsided, but the same thing happened if I walked on a treadmill (wierd, I know, it's like my brain can't figure out what to do when my body is moving, but my legs are not walking on solid ground). Anyway, no symptoms again, until my next pregnancy where I would get bad dizzy spells. After the birth of my first child the dizziness really hit and I was completely bed-ridden for four months while we tried to figure it out. Finally went to a Neuro-tologist (who specializes in migraine and inner ear) and was diagnosed with MAV. I have a long history with migraine, but the hormones thrusted me into MAV as well. I hope you figure it out! That's just my experience.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
(female)

Here4u2 HB User

Dizzy Mom. I just want to add that I am no Doctor, but was in the medical field until I am no longer able to work due to many issues, one being severe disequilibrium.

It sounds like your symptoms are anxiety related.

Do you have problems in the shower, or with eyes closed.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
(female)

Here4u2 HB User

Dizzy Mom. I just want to add that I am no Doctor, but was in the medical field until I am no longer able to work due to many issues, one being severe disequilibrium.

It sounds like your symptoms are anxiety related.

Do you have problems in the shower, or with eyes closed.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
(female)

dizzymommy HB User

Here4U2...are you referring to the original poster, or myself? I have had issues in the shower and with eyes closed. Darkness and/or low light are very bad as well. I get very off balance and feel like I need to hold on to something to balance.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
(female)

Here4u2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymommy View Post
Here4U2...are you referring to the original poster, or myself? I have had issues in the shower and with eyes closed. Darkness and/or low light are very bad as well. I get very off balance and feel like I need to hold on to something to balance.
No, the original poster. I have the issues in the shower or dark and they never let up, in those instances, its why I know something is wrong. I am sorry you have this as well, but seems there are times it does let up in some instances for you, while in the shower for instance, as it seems from your post.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
(female)

dizzymommy HB User

Okay, couldn't quite tell! thanks. Yes, I do have times now where I am free of dizziness...rare, but it does happen. Sooooo much more functional than when it was 24/7. My symptoms as of now are pretty mild...mostly flare up before/during a migraine, in the heat, with lack of sleep, and with flourescent lighting. It is generally manageable when it does flare up, but does still take some concentration to get through events.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
(female)

Here4u2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymommy View Post
Okay, couldn't quite tell! thanks. Yes, I do have times now where I am free of dizziness...rare, but it does happen. Sooooo much more functional than when it was 24/7. My symptoms as of now are pretty mild...mostly flare up before/during a migraine, in the heat, with lack of sleep, and with flourescent lighting. It is generally manageable when it does flare up, but does still take some concentration to get through events.
Since this was a 24 7 issue before, were you constantly having to grip your leg and feet to the ground to keep upright, in shower or anytime you were standing still, because I find I have to do that at ALL times when standing still........meaning I can walk easier then stand still somewhere, because of the balance feeling, swaying and its not just a feeling, it is literal, a long with crazy ear ringing. I do not have this issue laying down as drastic as standing, that is when I notice it and doing any task that requires the use of arms being out stretched increases it. If I can lean on something all the time, and grip toes it helps, but it is HE double L dealing with this.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
(female)

Tilda HB User

Hi there, I am 18 years old and I have suffered from Vertigo for seven months now and it has been constant every day 24/7. It started last October when I was suffering from panic attacks and anxiety disorder, and the doctor says thats whats triggered the Vertigo. I was put on Xanax for my anxiety which helped immensely, and helped with the dizziness too slightly but not a huge amount so the doctor gave me medication to help function as I was finding it extremely hard to even get out of bed in the mornings. This did not help in any way. I thought I would never recover which then led to my depression, and I didn't leave my house for a month, and missed school which was difficult for me to cope with as it's the last year of school so most important year as I wish to get good results in order to get into my university. Anyway, a couple of months ago, I found a balance therapist who has given me exercises to follow and a diet to maintain (which I have to say has been fairly hard but I've managed to keep it up for 2 months). If you want, and you still are feeling dizzy, I can tell you the exercises I do every day 3 times a day and the diet I am on. I feel like I am slowly recovering and I know this is not a speedy process but hopefully it will all be over by the time I go to my university in September

Old 05-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
(female)

dizzymommy HB User

I'm interested in hearing about the diet you were put on.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
(female)

b2b HB User

Hi Tilda, what kind of exercises and diet are you on?

Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
(female)

Here4u2 HB User

I too would like to know and also:

importantly if any of you with disequilibrium are forced you to grip toes to the ground ANYTIME you stand in one spot.

strategically spread legs apart and grip toes to ground while taking shower.

If you reach your arms out in front of you to do anything, it increases the the balance, disequilibrium extremely.

I ask any of you because I can sit for most times ( not ALL the time ) without fear of falling, though I do get the whirling sensation, spin, many times, but the worst is standing in one spot anywhere doing anything. Of course turning head, moving eyes, all that is worse, but I can walk better then STAND, and I believe its because I have learned to compensate that over the last 3 years of this, but then I don't walk much either

because I would rather SIT because doing anything I have this problem and it just reminds me, for instance, I could actually walk to my kitchen fairly ok..........then say get something to eat, if I have to stand in one spot to use a knife, and cut something the motion of arms moving, moving my head and neck the vibration set it off so BAD, now I do go through those motions depsite, like cooking and stirring something on stove, I just hold the counter with other free hand...........

But its HELL, living HELL ..........it never goes away, not in 3 years and I am exhausted from fighting this.....so I would rather SIT and never move and I am 5'4 109 lbs, so I am not getting big and eating all day as I sit.......just saying if anyone thinks I was lazy.....I am fully disabled by this and other things to boot, and I worked 2 jobs prior, a great career, great money.....this is HELL. I would give anything to get better and work again........LIVE....this is not living.

The following user gives a hug of support to Here4u2:
susan13 (06-20-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #14
(female)

Tilda HB User

My exercises are really basic but you will feel a change after a few weeks/months - it's not a quick process, but I'm sure you already know that.

Every day 3 times a day I do the following exercises:

Draw a cross in a piece of paper, doesn't matter what size, as long as you can see it. Stick this piece of paper with a cross on it against a wall, then grab a chair to sit on facing the cross. Then, staring at the cross, move your head side to side - do this 10 times for the first couple of weeks, then after about 3 weeks, start doing that exercise 40 times rather than 10. You will feel very dizzy whilst doing this, but that's normal don't panic. Then try doing this cross exercise standing up after the first 2 weeks. You must do it 3 times a day otherwise you won't feel a change.

The next exercise which you also must to 3 times a day is standing up in the middle of a room, making sure there's nowhere for you to hold on to. Place one foot in front of the other and close your eyes - hold this balance for 1 minute, then swap your feet around and do it for another minute. After 3 weeks try doing this on a foamy/pillowy surface which really takes away your balance! You'll probably fall over a few times, I did that at first but now after 3 months of doing these exercises I have felt an improvement.

Diet: Here's a list of foods the doctor told me to stay away from: all dairy products (a part from goats cheese), citris foods (grapefruits, oranges, lemons etc), bananas, pineapples, egg and yeast (so no bread). And I mustn't drink anything with caffeine in it or alcohol, especially red wine !! The diets a struggle at first but I'd rather be on this diet if it helps the vertigo than to have this constant dizziness !

Good luck with it, let me know if you feel an improvement after a month or so.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
(female)

Here4u2 HB User

The exercises sound good and thank you so much. I don't understand though how fruits are bad for you, bread I could get, but fruit with all the vitamins, Citrus acid, bananas with potasium? Any thoughts on that?

Reply Reply