It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 10:04 AM   #1

help_me_please1 HB User
Question down syndrome

im a bit upset cos a family member has had a baby during this week who has got down syndrome
please can people give me info on it as ive not too much knowledge of it
thankin u in advance

Old 12-13-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: down syndrome

Here is a link to MEDLINE's page on Down Syndrome, where you can get lots of information from many different sources. The March of Dimes link will give you a quick, brief, basic understanding of Down's.

[url]http://search.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/query?FUNCTION=search&PARAMETER=down+syn drome&DISAMBIGUATION=true&SERVER1=server 1&SERVER2=server2&START=0&END=25&MAX=500 &ASPECT=0[/url]

Good luck!

zuzu xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2003, 11:26 AM   #3

fudd HB User

I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I'll do my best to help you understand what Down Syndrome is.

Down Syndrome is a form of mental retardation that arises due to errors in the baby's genetic code. There are a total of 23 chromosome sets in the human genome and you have one from each parent (for a total of 46 chromosomes). Down Syndrome affects chromosome 21, and for that reason it is often referred to be doctors as trisomy 21. Trisomy means that you have an extra chromosome, so Down Syndrome is a form of mental retardation due to a third copy of chromosome 21 in the baby's genetic makeup. There are other things that can happen to that chromosome, but an extra copy is most common (about 95% of cases).

Down Syndrome is an extremely common birth defect and occurs in about one out of every 700 births - it is, in fact, the most common genetic disease known. When the mother is over 45 years old, the incidence increases dramatically to about 1 out of every 40 births.

The major defining features of DS are mental retardation (usually with an IQ around 50 or so) and very characteristic alterations in the limbs, head, and digits.

Life expectancy is generally normal or slightly lower than those without the trisomy. There ARE some things, however, that you should be aware of in terms of future medical health. First, those with DS have a much higher incidence of cancer than the rest of the population. Incidence of leukemia with DS is about 3 times higher than in the general population. Second, the vasculature of people with DS is very poor and vascular and heart diseases are extremely common. In fact, the biggest barrier for those with the disease is surviving the first year of life due to respiratory and heart problems (mortality during the first year is about 30% due to these reasons).

There is a lot of information I did not include in the post due to space/time limitations - I think I hit the big points, but there is quite a bit more information available to you. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by help_me_please1
im a bit upset cos a family member has had a baby during this week who has got down syndrome
thankin u in advance

Old 12-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #4

help_me_please1 HB User

from where you said the part of 700 to 1 of geting it it makes you think of why it has to happen to you

Old 01-06-2004, 02:53 PM   #5

Kileen HB User

Hello!

My name is Kileen and I am a new member here.

I couldn't help but want to add my words to what you have been posting. I have Mosaic Down syndrome. I have never been a parent so I can't imagine where you are coming from but as a person who has Down syndrome I can tell you I have not had any extreme health problems you have mentioned. I wonder if the Mosaic part has something to do with it. I really don't know. I have been extremely fortunate in not having any surgeries or hospital stay's only with the one exception of having my tonsils out.

I should know more about Mosaicism but to be honest I can't explain it medically. This part is beyond me. I do know it has something to do with the chromosones, cells, and the dividing of them. I do know that every child and person who has Down syndrome are all an individual first. Unfortuantely, people still believe in the stereotype's.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:03 PM   #6

GABECRUZ HB User

[COLOR=DarkRed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by help_me_please1
thankin u in advance
[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]

I am a 25 year old mother of two. My youngest has Down Syndrome. There is a very good book that was given to me while my son was at Children's Medical Center. It is called "Down Syndrome, a new Parents Guide". My parents have read it, and also my in-laws. It does help to better understand about Downs. Also you can do a search on the net for The Down Syndrome Guild in your state or city. I know you don't live in Texas, but just for information the website for the guild here in Dallas is, downsyndromedallas.com. They have lots of great information to better understand. Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
(female)

JELLOLEGS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudd
I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I'll do my best to help you understand what Down Syndrome is.

Down Syndrome is a form of mental retardation that arises due to errors in the baby's genetic code. There are a total of 23 chromosome sets in the human genome and you have one from each parent (for a total of 46 chromosomes). Down Syndrome affects chromosome 21, and for that reason it is often referred to be doctors as trisomy 21. Trisomy means that you have an extra chromosome, so Down Syndrome is a form of mental retardation due to a third copy of chromosome 21 in the baby's genetic makeup. There are other things that can happen to that chromosome, but an extra copy is most common (about 95% of cases).

Down Syndrome is an extremely common birth defect and occurs in about one out of every 700 births - it is, in fact, the most common genetic disease known. When the mother is over 45 years old, the incidence increases dramatically to about 1 out of every 40 births.

The major defining features of DS are mental retardation (usually with an IQ around 50 or so) and very characteristic alterations in the limbs, head, and digits.

Life expectancy is generally normal or slightly lower than those without the trisomy. There ARE some things, however, that you should be aware of in terms of future medical health. First, those with DS have a much higher incidence of cancer than the rest of the population. Incidence of leukemia with DS is about 3 times higher than in the general population. Second, the vasculature of people with DS is very poor and vascular and heart diseases are extremely common. In fact, the biggest barrier for those with the disease is surviving the first year of life due to respiratory and heart problems (mortality during the first year is about 30% due to these reasons).

There is a lot of information I did not include in the post due to space/time limitations - I think I hit the big points, but there is quite a bit more information available to you. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
FUDD YOU SURE PAINTED A GRIMM PICTURE FOR THIS PERSON. I'M A MOTHER OF A DOWN SYNDROME SON WHO IS 19 YEARS OLD WHO HAD HEART SURGERY WHEN HE WAS 5 MOS OLD AND WEIGHED 10 LBS AND HE DID FINE. HE HASN'T HAD ANYMORE HEALTH PROBLEMS EXCEPT FOR THE USUAL COLDS AND NO MORE HEART PROBLEMS. WE TAKE HIM TO HIS HEART DR. EVERY 5 YEARS. I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU SAID YOUR SORRY THE FAMILY FOUND OUT THE CHILD HAS DOWN SYNDROME. SURE IT'S A SHOCK WHEN YOU FIRST FIND OUT BUT I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING ABOUT MY SON. HE'S A VERY LOVING AND FORGIVING CHILD. SURE HE HAS A LOW IQ BUT HE CAN REMEMBER THINGS YOU WOULDN'T THINK HE COULD. SO MY RESPONSE TO THIS FAMILY IS CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Last edited by JELLOLEGS; 01-01-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
(female)

ambiegirl HB User

I am pg and have been told that one of my babies (twins) could have DS, it is a shock. I have tried to get more info over the past few months, to prepare myself for the birth in case DS is our reality. What I have learned is how special DS kids are to their families, how much joy they bring, that they make their family members better people and that their parents would not change anything about them. They are consistently referred to as blessings. I have been very sad and afraid, but other mums have assured me that there is nothing to fear because I will be so lucky to have such a loving and lovable child. The most important thing they have shown me is that it is not "bad", just "different" and that different will become our "normal". Please do take a look at the thread on echogenic focus and you will see the comforting words of women who feel they are so fortunate to have their DS kids in their lives.

Last edited by ambiegirl; 01-15-2007 at 03:38 AM.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
(female)

JELLOLEGS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiegirl View Post
I am pg and have been told that one of my babies (twins) could have DS, it is a shock. I have tried to get more info over the past few months, to prepare myself for the birth in case DS is our reality. What I have learned is how special DS kids are to their families, how much joy they bring, that they make their family members better people and that their parents would not change anything about them. They are consistently referred to as blessings. I have been very sad and afraid, but other mums have assured me that there is nothing to fear because I will be so lucky to have such a loving and lovable child. The most important thing they have shown me is that it is not "bad", just "different" and that different will become our "normal". Please do take a look at the thread on echogenic focus and you will see the comforting words of women who feel they are so fortunate to have their DS kids in their lives.
HI AMBIEGIRL, I DIDN'T KNOW MY BABY WAS DOWN SYNDROME UNTIL THE DAY HE WAS BORN. I COULD HAVE HAD THE AMNIO TEST BUT I CHOSE NOT TO. WHEN THEY TOLD ME HE WAS DOWNS I JUST THANKED GOD THAT HE WAS ALIVE. I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING. MY SON IS NOW 19 YEARS OLD AND HAS BEEN A BLESSING TO US EVERYDAY. HE IS SO LOVING AND SWEET AND HAPPY ALL OF THE TIME. HE WIL BE GRADUATING IN 2008 WHICH IS A LITTLE SCARY TO ME BUT I KNOW HE'LL BE FINE. CONGRATULATIONS BY THE WAY!!!!!

Closed Thread