It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
(male)

JohnPaulDS HB User
Obsessional Slowness

My brother is a 25 year old downsyndrome man. Within the past 2-3 years he has begun to exhibit unusual behaviour predominantly in how long it now takes him to undertake simple tasks such as bathing, dressing or eating. In relation to eating it may take him several hours to complete his breakfast or lunch/dinner. He typically will pause frequently whilst eating and when he does actually eat it is usually in very small portions. This is proving to be very difficult as spending so much time performing simple tasks means less time for anything else and a decrease in quality of life. We have had a full battery of tests performed including an EEG, MRI and thyroid function. All of these retuned normal. We have also attended a psychiatrist which diagnosed the condition as Obsessional Slowness Disorder and subsequently prescribed anti depressants with a view to treatment/reduction in severity of symptoms. However these proved ineffective and we are reluctant to try other medications, we would prefer an alternative answer.
I am wondering is there anyone out there that has heard of anything similar and if so what route was taken in order to correct it? Itís frustrating since he never used to be like this.

Regards,

Enda.

Last edited by JohnPaulDS; 12-21-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Old 12-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #2

dianne12315 HB User
Re: Obsessional Slowness

Hi Enda,

I have worked with the Developmentally Disabled for over 30 yrs now and throughout my years of working with people with Down's Syndrome I have noticed as they grow older they start doing things they never did before and no one can ever determine why. I have learned that people with Down's syndrome have a tendency to be very stubborn and like things to be a certain way and will usually keep at something until it is the way they want it. There are many good medications available now that have fewer side effects than the medications that were used years ago and they will usually improve his behavior but they can take as long as 6 weeks or 2 months before you see a big difference in him. You could try rewarding him when he eats his meals at a reasonable rate and he might do better because they love to please the people they love but sometimes it doesn't work and I'm sure you've tried it. Having him take medication may not be something you want to try but it could improve his behavior therefore improving his quality of life.

I have seen many of the Developmentally Disabled improve after being put on medication. Of course it should be used as a last resort.

In the meantime enjoy your brother....they are the most lovable, kind, caring,and sensitive people I've ever had the pleasure of taking care of.

Dianne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread