It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

Jaber HB User
Chances of having 2nd DS baby

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has had a 2nd child with Down Syndrome. My only daughter has Trisomy 21 and is 18 months old. I understand that the chances of having another baby with DS are good once you have one. But I'm wondering how likely it really is, when your first and only child has it. I think that Translocation has to do w/ the parents genes, but does anyone have more than one child with Trisomy 21?

Old 01-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #2

mother of six HB User
Re: Chances of having 2nd DS baby

I've never met anyone who had a second child with DS. I knew a woman who had twins, one of which has DS. I also have another friend who has a 14 y/o daughter with downs and then had two "normal" children after her daughter with downs was born. Downs is passed through the parents genes and it's also hereditary. My ex-husband's cousin has DS and I have an 11 y/o son with DS. Hereditary or defective genes . There's so much testing available today to determine whether or not you will have a second child with DS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

KBM HB User

My first daughter was born when I was only 27 years old. When she was 4 we decided to have another. I really don't remember what the statisitics were for me to have another DS baby. When I had my daughter for my age I was 1 in 800 or 900. When I had my second they were obviously increased due to my having a previous DS baby and my age at that time being 32. If my memory serves me correctly it wasn't a DRASTIC increase. However, before we decided to have another child, we had our bloods tested. My daughter has non disjuction, most common form of DS. Something that just happens and they still are not 100 % sure why. We knew she didn't have translocation which would mean one of us is a carrier but we got tested just to make sure and to ease our mind for the future. We had our second daughter followed by our son 5 years after that. I was 36 years old. I had amnio's for both pregnancys after the first just for piece of mind.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
(female)

muralsaz HB User

I just read an article where a couple in Mesa a THIRD child with down's syndrome. The second one died before age one of complications. I have a little boy who is almost six myself, and I find this information frightening. The father, however at the time was 4 years older than me. I hear a person can get their sperm tested nowadays, is this true?????????????????

Old 01-19-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
(female)

brentana HB User

I can't believe how much user KBM sounds like myself. I too had my daughter (DS) at age 27 but I had a 7 year old son (not DS) before I had her. I have been researching to find others with a second DS child because I know my chance went from 1-800 to 1-100 and now I am 3 years older and want to go for a 3rd and final child and I was concerned about the risks. However, after a little thought I have realized that if I did get another child with DS I would be the luckiest person. I love my daughter so much and know that if science could change her, I never would and certainly welcome the opportunity to have another child, DS or not. Thanks to everyone who shares their stories.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:24 PM   #6

SandSmom HB User

I too was 27 years old when my Sydnie was born. The thought crossed my mind with #2 but didnt consume me. I knew the chances were slim but not impossible...even though they tell you differently. I had 3 miscarriages before Saylor was born...so you can imagine how I felt after the second m/c. What if? Well what it came down to...was that it was in God's time not mine. I was blessed with Saylor who is 10 mths old. I wasnt as much concerned about the Ds as I was with what else is out there. I had a level 2 u/s but no amnio. Sydnie adores her baby sister!

There is a hispanic family about 30 min away that has 2 Trisomy 21 children but is the only one I know of. Get this....there is a family an our away that has a child I believe Tri 21. For some reason the mom had to have tests run and found out she actually had Mosaic Ds and never knew it!!!!

Old 03-14-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
(female)

jenglaze HB User

Hi everyone! Well, it can happen because I am the proud mother of two children with Down syndrome, Trisomy 21 not translocation! I just turned 33, my daughter is 7 and my son is 3. I haven't had the opportunity to talk with anyone who has had two with Trisomy 21, however I have talked with some that have two from translocation. It's definatley a challenge but well worth every minute! Email me if you have any questions - bye Jen

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

Last edited by moderator2; 03-15-2005 at 05:49 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 03-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #8

SandSmom HB User

Jen, wow I havent ever TALKED to anyone with two children....
did you learn before each births...did you have kareotypes done on you and your husband??? Things like this interest me because I have alot of questions brought up to me...which you can imagine...so I like to at least sound like I know what Im talking about. lol I would love to see pictures!

Closed Thread