It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
(male)

gawitz HB User
Question Down syndrome sonogram

I would like to find out the relevence of Calcium spots on the heart in 2nd trimester sonogram.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
(female)

kylesmom HB User
Re: Down syndrome sonogram

What did the doctor say...how was your AFP? There are a lot of signs for DS. However, please take into consideration the biggest markers for DS:
- Thick Nuchal Fold (the skin behind the neck)
- Any hole in the heart
- lack of interuterine growth
- lack of interuterine movement
- short femur bones
- lack of nasal bridge

These are all things that a sonogram can pick up. But please note, only a amniocentises is a guarentee of a DS diagnosis. My son's sonogram was impecable. He grew in utero. He was 8lbs 6 oz at birth and 10 days early. He showed no markers on the sonogram. However, he was born with an ASD (hole in heart), thick nuchal fold, and bi-lateral simeian creases and, of course, Down Syndrome. These things should have been found on the ultrasound but were not. My AFP came back 1:1600 for DS. I know now that the only guarantee if you really want to know is the amnio.

My son is a terrific, 9 month old bundle of joy and I would not have given him up for anything. But someone should have seen what was going on in there. You need to decide as a mom what you want. Talk to your doctor...think about what he or she is telling you...if it is not what you want to hear, get a second opinion.

To answer your question, I have not heard of calcium spots being a marker for DS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
(female)

Jaber HB User

My daughter had a calcium spot on her heart (echogenic focus is the medical term) and a choroid plexus cyst. Having both of these soft markers led the u/s tech and the doctor to tell me of the possibility of Down syndrome. I chose not to have an amnio.

My daughter is 2 now, and is a beautiful growing girl. And yes, she does have DS.

The dr. later told me that if my daughter had one or the other soft marker and not both, they may not have told me about the chance of Down. But because they were both there, they wanted me to have a level 2 u/s to see if there were any others.
I had an AFP, and it came back negative. I advise everyone I know, not to get this test. The accuracy of it is a joke.

Old 01-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

candle66 HB User

Now I am scared.. my AFP came back 1-43. I passed on the amnio because the sono's have been prefect so far. the doctor gave me a couple days to think about coming in for an amnio, now I am thinking I should reconsider and have it done.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-02-2006 at 08:16 AM. Reason: please delete long quotes

Old 01-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
(female)

Jaber HB User

Candle,
I wouldn't go by your AFP score as being an accurate result. My AFP results were negative for everything and my dd has Down syndrome. Is the Echogenic Focus (calcium spot) the only soft marker? If it is, you most likely have nothing to worry about. It's up to you to get an amnio, but is it worth it if you plan on keeping the baby anyway?

Old 01-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

candle66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaber
Candle,
I wouldn't go by your AFP score as being an accurate result. My AFP results were negative for everything and my dd has Down syndrome. Is the Echogenic Focus (calcium spot) the only soft marker? If it is, you most likely have nothing to worry about. It's up to you to get an amnio, but is it worth it if you plan on keeping the baby anyway?
No so far she looks prefect on the sono... the doctor said to date she is growing normal etc... I have an sono every 2 weeks since my pregnancy. He said she shows no signs that she could have DS. But he said 20-30% do not show at all.

I am 41 and had the triple screen test and they said it came back 1-43 and recommended an amnio.

I left the office because I didn't want the risk of miscarriage. But now after reading some of these other posts it has me wondering and I am stressing.

Last edited by candle66; 01-26-2006 at 08:34 AM.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

candle66 HB User

Actually I decided to get the amnio. will get the test results in 10 days.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
(male)

gr&bec384 HB User

My wife and I was informed our ultrasound showed the calcium spots or "echogenic cardiac foci". Our MD suggested a level II ultrasound. There must be some significance to the calcium spots b/c that was our only "soft marker" for DS. My wife is just 29 yoa. Is it normal to have a level II ultrasound based solely on these calcium spots?

Old 02-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

candle66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by candle66
Actually I decided to get the amnio. will get the test results in 10 days.

I got my results today... and the test results all came back negative... the baby he healthy and it's a girl. I worried for 2 weeks and aged 20 years.

Now I can relax for the remainder of my pregnancy. Thanks to those for your support.

Last edited by candle66; 02-08-2006 at 05:52 PM.

Closed Thread