It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

tania m HB User
help!

hi my brother aaron is9yrs old and has ds, he is also partially blind and deaf and suffers from a bowel disease which means he now has to live with a cholostomy, aaron has many autistic tendencies and tends NOT to sleep at night, he has recently started to show signs of aggression and due to his frustration of being no-verbal is unable to communicate with us so its trial and error until we get it right!
is anyone in our sittuation? can anyone give me any advice on sleep,communication aggression please please please your help would be appreiciated
Thank you so much love tania & aaron

Old 11-01-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
(female)

DaVinci HB User
Re: help!

Hi Tania
Aaron has many challenges however there's no reason his life cannot be made more enjoyable. Anything and everything should be tried to reach Aaron....PECs picture exchange communication system...pictures can be made larger for the visually impaired. Facilitated communication, sign language etc. I'm a strong believer in the power of nutrition and vitamin/mineral/amino acid sups for healing ...did wonders here when we had the "aggressive and I never sleep years." Some parents have had amazing results from melatonin - sleep aid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

brittanys mom HB User
Re: help!

Tania, My daughter brittany is 13 and has ds. She is great, she can comunicate verbally or through sign langauge. You might try signing w/ your brother. Also for the aggression my pedatrician prescribed propanol and for sleep there are a couple of things. She now sleeps through the night and she hasn't done that since she was a baby. Ask the peditrication for some recommendations on sleep medicine and have him tested for sleep apnea. Hope this helps good luck.

Closed Thread