It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
(male)

roy holbrook HB User
looking for support and education in the marietta area.

Hello, I'm new to this site and this area.
I have a wonderful little boy with downs syndrom. I need help with trying to get him to communicate, I see his frustration and it kills me. He does well with pointing and takeing me to want he wants/needs but sometimes we are on different planets it seems.
I only get him every other weekend and as far as potty training goes he does well by the end of the weekend. But every friday its like starting over.
I don't know what my ex does with him and if I ask its like I am getting into HER business.
I really think my son could do better, even if we can only work together on the weekends and our dinners together.
Any groups or advice will greatly appreciated.Thankyou for your time.
roy holbrook

Old 11-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
(female)

tania m HB User
Re: looking for support and education in the marietta area.

hi im tania,

i no the feeling with regards to communication, have you tried pecs or makaton sign language??? aaron loves to sign along to nursery rhymes whilst i sing its a great way of you both communicating together. Pecs are great tooallthough aaron doesnt use them yet i work with children with autism and i use pecs everyday and have seen them go from not talking to talking its great !! if your unsure on pecs let me know!
i'd also like to say you sound like your trying very hard! keep up the good work it will pay off in the end, what i will say from experience is that your approach needs to be consistant, have a word with your partner and tell her you only want the best and the way forward is for both of you to communicate and be consistant for the sake of you child!!

take care keep up the good work
Tania x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread