It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Keratoconus and Downs

I have a DS son who is now 19 years old. Threw his life I have learned my things about DS heath problems and many heath issues that they are pron to get. Our most resent one is Keratoconus, You may what??? I never heard about it until about a year ago. My son woke up one morning and He had a bubble on his eye about the size of a tiny June pea, Went to the eye Doctor at the Eye Institute, He told that out son has Ketatoconus, He said that Down Syndrom kids and adults are prone to get this. He stated that his Corina is bulging and it is filling with fluid, where is the fluid coming from, he has a small tear in his eye-(which right now is behind this bulging cornea), Well need less to say, he was put on predison drops three times a day, had weekly Eye Doctor appointments for about six months and A years later, His eye is getting better but Vision is poor. Well now it is starting in the other eye, Our only option is cornea transplants. We had to see about five different Doctors in order to find one who would do the Surgury, no one wanted to help us because he was DS. But I was one a mission and would not give up. I was told that DS are known to get this disease because they a known to be eye rubbers, this is what can cause this disease to arise, So if you see you child rubbing his eye allot, try to encourage his or her not to do that. I know how DS kids can be, you tell them not to do something and because you told them not to do it, they do it all the more, why ? because that is there nature. So now that I have share this with you, it may be something you may want to watch for since your have a DS child also.
Karen W.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread