It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #1
(female)

partofthebride HB User
Question Potty Problems

My thread is closely related to one that is several threads down. But I'm hoping I can can some encouragement also on this topic.

I am recently engaged (2 weeks ago) to a wonderful man and father, my soul mate. He has full custody of 2 children, the youngest, Sklyer, a boy, 10 years old with downs. He is absolutely the most precious and loving child. But he is still in diapers and my fiance' doesn't know that it will ever change. Skyler has been caught sitting on the "pot" before so he does have some cognitive awareness of what it is for but 99.99% of the time he just dirties his diaper and he gets mad most of the time when his dad tries to change him! Terry is such an awesome father, very patient and giving but Skyler just gets exasperated at this training problem. Terry will make him go to the bathroom at regular intervals, he won't do anything, then 5 minutes later he will dirty his diaper and the smell goes over the whole house. Skyler is very smart so the fact that he does this puzzles me. It also puzzles me that he doesn't seem to mind sitting in it.

Let me just add that I am very, very unknowledgeable in this subject and am in the process of trying to learn as much as possible before we get married next fall.

Changing his diaper several times a night doesn't seem bad now but what about when he's 20 and weighs almost 200 pounds? I'm wondering if this is going to be a lifelong thing. I've asked Terry about his latest tests and he said he is equivelent to a 4 year old.

Any encouragement or knowledge would be wonderful. Downs Syndrome is a whole new world to me and although it is a challenge that I lovingly and willingly take on, it does seem overwhelming sometimes with all I have to learn about these precious angels.

partofthebride

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Re: Potty Problems

Hi,
Well I would work on some serious potty training, When he goes number two, I would have a chart and give him a star, you can either give him a reward like a piece of candy or many a allowance for going number two or McDonald's. If you can get him to go, make a big deal of it, praise him, clap your hands and make sure other people in the house praise him also. He will be very proud of himself and will want to do it more. Try to figure out if he has a poop time, some people are like clock work. It's going to be hard, he's 10 years old but he is not dumb, he should be able to figure it out. Some times Downs try to get lazy, that is why you must be consistent with everything you do, My son who is DS is 19 years old and he has been potty trained during the day since he was 4 years old, night time took allot longer, like age 8. But we were very consistent and we worked really hard at it and we did it. We did not give up, we worked at it daily, finially he figured it out. Good luck to you.
Karen W.

Closed Thread