It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #16

saeema0k HB User
Re: Brother with Down Syndrome

I honestly think that you are the greatest example of brotherhood in this world. May God bless you for this attitude. My eldest son is Down syndrome. He is 10 years old now. When he was born, we were confused and lost, but we got over it and now we are very much happy to have him. Your words made me so happy to hear that you actually love your brother so much. This makes me feel very much comfortable that my other son who is 6 years old right now will treat his brother the way you are treating your brother.

Mohammed

Old 06-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #17
(female)

trpltrbl1dlite HB User

hi everyone. i have 4 children, 3 boys-14.5 y/o,almost 13 y/o(aug)and 10 y/o; 1 girl 5.5 y/o. my daughter has d.s.. we found out when she was born. pregnancy/birth went fine. no problems except a small hole in her heart that closed on it's own. explained to my then 9,8 and 5 y/o's that she has d.s., like in 'jurassic park' ,the twisted ladder, that she has an extra rung. and that she might have a harder time learning some things. and she has run them ever since! she was raised in bleachers, loves all sports-football especially (does a better 3 point stance than some of the players), played soccer this past spring and 'graduating' preschool this thursday. love her to pieces. they say that when you find out that you have a child w/ d.s. that you go thru the same grieving process as w/ a death. i tell you what, i'm still in denial. she is going to everything that any 'normal' girl will do. shoot, i'm already dreaming up what she's going to wear to prom! i feel that if i set limitations in my own head that i have let her down. timelines get adjusted (walking at 19mos/potty trained just after 3, still working on using verbs in 3 word sent.). her potential is limitless. sorry this is so long. just wanted to share

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #18
(female)

Katiebelle HB User

Just new to this board and wanted to chime in if I may . I have a little boy with Downs and he is first and foremost a little boy!! My husband has a daughter with downs and she is incredible too. I think this fear of the unknown is the problem. Somtimes people don't mean to be horrible , they are just plain scared . Can I just say there are VERY long waiting lists for people who want to adopt a child with Downs. No way would a child spend their life in a home. This is true all over the world. I am in contact with many parents who are tired of waiting on US lists and have gone to Russia to adopt. They specifically WANT a child with Downs . Many of these people have adopted up to 7 children with downs and these families are amazing and happy !!!

So fair enough you can't raise this baby , well my son has no health problems. None !! No extra hospital bills!! He went to the same school as his sibs!! No real extra stuff needed apart fropm extra work from his mum and family and we consider it a privilige to do anything we can for him.This is because he gives us WAY more then we could ever give us !!!

Please don't think just because you dont want this baby that no one esle will!! Thats just not true . This baby will poop sleep feed cry laugh crawl walk run go to school, wait for father christmas while absolutely bursting with excitment , leave home, work and have relationships and probably marry.Dont deny this baby all that. If you can't guide your baby through all this then please let some who wants to do it have the chance to do so. There are so many people who value children with Downs. These are amazing individuals. If you knew how much they overcome just to do the normal stuff you would be humbled. They do it all with a smile!!! This is probably the most perfect human you will ever know!!! There is no shame is saying I am not up to this task!! Its ok to say I dont want this either . But its not ok to say because you dont want this child no one else will too. They will and do. Best of luck , hope it works out for you. I can't pretend to understand abortion very well , we dont have abortion in Ireland.

Closed Thread