It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

ks5353 HB User
Help

I am 25 years old and pregant with my first child. My AFP test came back positive at 1/52. I then went for a Level II Ultrasound and everything was normal. They actually moved my due date back 2 weeks which from what I understand can change everything. From what I've heard the AFP test is very unreliable and has to be taken at exactly the correct time. After re running my numbers it came back at 1/606. I am still a nervous wreck. I had a 2nd routine (not Level II) ultrasound and they did not get enough views of the spine so I have to go back on Friday for another Level II. I am thinking I should get the amnio because I am so stressed out and it's all I can think about. I keep driving my husband crazy!! We are going to have this baby no matter what, and although there are risks involved with the amnio I can't help thinking that whatever the results, it will help me. If everything is fine, I can stop worrying, if not I can begin to prepare for my new baby knowing the challenges that lie ahead. My dr. said he would NOT suggest having the amnio but I am so confused, scared, out of my mind!! Any thoughts, suggestions, words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
(female)

dreameedayze HB User
Re: Help

Hello. I am almost 25 and pregnant with my second child. My AFP test was positive with a risk of 1:136. My dates are accurate.

First off.. yes yes yes.. being off on dates makes a huge difference. As I am sure you now know since they adjusted it.

Secondly, that test is so so well known for false positives. (and false negatives as I have learned on here and through research)

We had our Level II u/s and she didnt have an markers for DS. That doesn't clear us completely, but it does help.

Considering your odds.. it is a very very good chance that your baby will be perfectly healthy. Not having the amnio was a very easy and quick decision for me. But you seem to be battling with that decision. I can completely understand not wanting to wait till birth to find out. If you are terribly concerned and you can't seem to stop thinking or worrying about it.. then get the amnio. That will tell you with 100% accuracy if your child has any defects. It will ease your mind so much.

Statistically speaking, your baby has a very very good chance of being normal. But I know how scary it is to think that there could potentially be something wrong.

Normal AFP risk for a woman our age is 1:1300. You are half of that. I was about 1/4 of that.

Jamie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User

I don't think my response is necessarily comforting..I'm sorry in advance... but I just wanted to clarify that even amnio's are not 100% accurate. VERY accurate, yes..maybe even 99%...but they are not perfect. I had a false positive with my daughter... the amnio showed that she had a chromosome deletion... they suggested abortion, and that she wouldn't live to see her first birthday. Well... she's 9 now, and perfectly healthy and "normal"...we've had her skin biopsied, and her blood retested, and all is normal, no chromosome deletion as the amnio showed.

If you know that no matter what, you're having the baby... you might rethink the amnio. But i do also relate to your feelings 100%...because the reason I was having amnio's (I had 2, different pregnancies) was because at 20 I had my son with Mosaic Down Syndrome. I felt like, no matter what, I'd have my babies...but at least I could be fully prepared if I had the amnio's!! how's this for ironic... my AFP test with my down's son, came back NORMAL. Maybe it's just my luck!

I'd suggest... try to relax, take a lil time, and go with your INSTINCT when deciding what to do!

good luck!

Old 02-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
(female)

angelique5 HB User

I don't think my response is necessarily comforting..I'm sorry in advance... but I just wanted to clarify that even amnio's are not 100% accurate. VERY accurate, yes..maybe even 99%...but they are not perfect. I had a false positive with my daughter... the amnio showed that she had a chromosome deletion... they suggested abortion, and that she wouldn't live to see her first birthday. Well... she's 9 now, and perfectly healthy and "normal"...we've had her skin biopsied, and her blood retested, and all is normal, no chromosome deletion as the amnio showed.

If you know that no matter what, you're having the baby... you might rethink the amnio. But i do also relate to your feelings 100%...because the reason I was having amnio's (I had 2, different pregnancies) was because at 20 I had my son with Mosaic Down Syndrome. I felt like, no matter what, I'd have my babies...but at least I could be fully prepared if I had the amnio's!! how's this for ironic... my AFP test with my down's son, came back NORMAL. Maybe it's just my luck!

I'd suggest... try to relax, take a lil time, and go with your INSTINCT when deciding what to do!

good luck!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

grapeshoffman HB User

My AFP test was normal. All untrasounds were perfectly normal. My son was born with DS. Surprise! After the birth, the doctors went through all of my testing with a fine tooth comb and could find no indications that my baby had DS. I think all this testing puts all kinds of unnecessary anxiety on a woman and her family. Just my opinion.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
(female)

angelique5 HB User

i agree completely about the testing and the anxiety.... nothing is 100%

Closed Thread