It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
(female)

Lynn7580 HB User
Exclamation Behavior Issues with a 6 year old.

I'm having issues with a 6 year old who has DS. She's violent and defiant(the defiance would probably be there without the disability because she's got a strong personality). We are having a hard time with getting her to cooperate mostly with teachers, not with her peers (she does really well with her peers), she just doesn't seem to want to cooperate with teachers. If anyone has had any kind of behavior issues with a child with DS, please reply. I'm looking for solutions, ideas, suggestions, anything that would be helpful.
Thanks a lot!

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Re: Behavior Issues with a 6 year old.

Hi,
Well I must say I did have problems with my son when he was in High Sch0ol, come to find out he was is a really bad situation with the school, he had a really bad teachers aide who treated the kids really bad, that caused him to act out, he didn't know how to handle it any other way, he was so frustrated, then they had lost him when school was left out, I was so freaked out, people were driving every where looking for him, I was so mad, I thought to myself, I have had this child for 15 years and I always knew where he was, give him to the school and I have no idea where he is, he was found 90 minutes later-( 2 miles from the school), I pulled him out of that school. What you need to do is look at the class room setting, is it her or is it the teachers??? Are they treating her well and fairly, are they using aggressive tones with her? Is she frustrated? From what I understand from your post, she is not like that at home.
Karee W.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User

How does she communicate? Is her speech good? Are her teachers REALLY understanding her?

Looking back on my son's life...he's 13 now... the only time in his life he was really frustrated and easily angered was preschool age, he still had NO speech at that time, and was so angry with ME when i couldnt understand him. Turned out, his teachers were using sign with him, and he could communicate with them better than me...so I had the opposite situation, where he was heavenly at school, and a hellion at home...

Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
Speaking of speech, My son is now twenty, he has been out of school for about 2 years now, I didn't want it that way but we had such bad experience's with the high school he was in, we had no choice, putting him in another school would not have helped, the damage was done. But any ways, they told me he was never going to improve with his speech skills, they said what his speech skills are now is what they are going to be, wrong!!!! Since he has been home with me, he is saying so many new words and phrases, the other day I walked in the kitchen, He said to me-"Whats up Girlfriend", I just started laughing, I have no idea where he got that from, I'm assuming T.V., But we hear new words on a weekly basis. He dose go to Easter Seal for Ceramics, Bowling and Soon drumming and singing. We have not started a work program yet because he has a pending surgery coming up, I most likely will have to stop working unless I can find some safe facility where he can go. Every choice you make with a DS child or adult is a big one, You want them to be happy but also safety is such a big issue. You need to find a place you can trust, all these steps are so hard sometimes, I have had a hard time putting trust in people taking care of him since the school incident, there was allot more that happened there, I just do want to get into it, To stressfull.
Karen

Old 03-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
(female)

TripleA HB User

I have an 8 year old with Down's. He is completely hard headed. He is defiant and strong willed. His teacher sends me a note home every day that says "Austin is not following instructions" or "Austin is not willing to cooperate" or "Austin does not listen", etc. So, I sat down one day and told him that he had to behave for his teacher or he would be punished...he rolled his big blue eyes at me like you can't scare me. Not to be negative or anything, but I have tried everything in the book and cannot get Austin to do anything he doesn't want to do. I just stand firm and hope one day he realizes that he will not be reprimanded when he listens.

He really is an angel most of the time, though!

Closed Thread