It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

grapeshoffman HB User
Question Scoliosis and DS

My 16 year old son with DS was recently diagnosed with a 78 degree spinal curve. Cannot find very much info. on scolosis and DS. The orthopedic doctor has never operated on anyone with DS, so I am already uncomfortable with the whole idea of surgery. Anybody have any ideas on where to go and look for current info. I have been told this is one of the rarer conditions that happens with kids with DS. I have looked on-line but cananot find anything specific. Child also is post-op for congenital heart defect. I have heard some good things about the Shriners Hospitals, and I am going to call them to see how much they know about DS and scoliosis. We already have a team of doctors an hour away at a children's hospital, but still would like more information. Thanks for helping.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
(female)

angelique5 HB User
Re: Scoliosis and DS

I don't know of any connection between the two myself...

I know the heart, and bowel disorders are often common as you mentioned he also had heart issues. My son with downs had the bowel disorders...

but ya know...his bowel disorders were all corrected, 3 operations, before they even had his down's diagnosis... and he was treated very appropriately...

I would imagine as long as they had all his past medical history, all would be well... I don't know much about shriner's either...but many children's hospitals also have a good repuation for having good pediatric surgeons...

good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread