It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

newmom101 HB User
Caught off guard-

My husband and I were just caught completely off guard. WE had a level 2 US in December that decreased the odds to less than 1% that our child would have DS. She was born last Thursday and does have it. It was not picked up on the US because it is seen in her eyes, ears, neck, toes, pinky finger. Things that are not obvious on an US.
We are so blessed to have her here and to know that her heart is 100%- no defects or abnormaliteis! We are so overwhelmed and are full of questions?

Old 04-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
(female)

T21mom HB User
Re: Caught off guard-

CONGRATS on your new darling!!!!!

I'm Nicki, SAHM to 4 kids. I also had an u/s that showed no markers for DS (triple screen was borderline though) and have a wonderful little man with DS...he'll be 15 months old in a few short hours! He's the baby of my 4 kids.

It's so good to hear that her heart is A-Ok! My son's is also, besides a slight murmur. I bet she is just the most beautiful little thing!!! I'm sure you do have lots of questions.....ask away, I'm sure someone will be able to answer them for you. Congrats again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

momtofour HB User
Cool Re: Caught off guard-

Our story sounds very similar. 22 months ago we were blessed with a little girl named Sadie. We were told she only had a one percent chance of having DS, but as soon as she was born we knew she had it. It was a scary and overwhelming time. Luckily, we found a parent participation Early Intervention program for children under one. We went every Wednesday for 2 hours and then had a one hour disscussion group. Between seeing others who were doing so well and our other girls who were a great example of uncontional love... we survived. Not only have we survived; but, it may be hard to understand right now.. We thrived!! I remember right after Sadie was born an older friend of ours with two adult children with DS called and said we were in for more blessings than we could every imagine. I thought, "how could they say that." I have to say one thing, I was lucky enough to have other children - so I never thought I lost the perfect child(because I knew no child is perfect). But the responsiblitily of having a special needs child. How could I ever do it? All those feelings and thoughts seem so strange to me now. It's almost been two years. Two years full of Dr. appointments, sickness, hopitalizations, scares, wakeful nights--- but also two years of laughs, smiles, joy, happiness, and rejoicing in every milestone, every close call and everytime someone tells me how much they enjoy her! It's ok to cry. It's ok to be scare. It's ok to be angry. It's ok to feel anyway you want to- your feelings are yours and it takes time to sort through them. But don't let this time slip away.. it goes too fast. Take time to enjoy. Take time to fall in love. Congrats! Some day very soon you'll see why I would never have it any other way

Last edited by momtofour; 05-02-2006 at 10:11 PM.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
(female)

Katkando HB User
Cool My son will be 32

QUOTE I just wanted to say my son will turn 32 in June and he has taught me more about life than I can say, he also is D/S. He has had some health problems, but has a job, grad. from high school and is a very happy young man. He has a heart murmer, sleep apnea, uses oxy at night. He is such a sweet heart, his name is Jamie
Not sure how the newbie got under my name I'm new to this!
I do have alot of experience with D/S and would be happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by Katkando; 05-17-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Closed Thread