It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
(female)

open to info HB User
How to Treat Psychotic Breakdown in 24-year-old DS female?

Hi!

New to Board. Boyfriend has 24-year-old daughter who had psychotic breakdown over 1 month ago. She is still delusional and in and out of reality. She lives in Group Home and was accused of inappropriate sexual advances to another 24-year-old female (she admitted her behavior, apologized, knows it was wrong.) However, she was then subjected to a "hearing" on the matter, and several day's later had the breakdown.

She was admitted to psychiatric hospital for 2 weeks and eventually discharged 2 week's ago on 4 mg. risperdahl daily.

Two week's have gone by, and there has been no improvement in her behavior. In fact, I think she is no different from the day she entered the psychiatric hospital.

I am worried that there is no improvement. I think boyfriend and child's mother are in denial - telling each other every day - "She's getting better," when I don' see it.

At shrink appt. 2 days ago, he says monitor her for another month, and if no improvement, dosage will be increased.

Anyone with any experience in dealing with psychosis in down syndrome adults?

Thanks much for any comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: How to Treat Psychotic Breakdown in 24-year-old DS female?

the only way to treat a psycotic episode is through medication, or so i believe. One of the better ones is Zyprexa

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
I really have no advice on the medication but I know that it takes time to reach a blood level. I volunteer for Easter Seals , It's for ages 17 and up. From what i have observed regarding behavior issues, when they do something really wrong and they know it was really bad, they don't know how to deal with it. It almost seems like they went threw a form of trauma. They cry, they almost yell saying they are sorry, the hurt is really deep. I would suggest to you is, give her some praise is the good that she dose, give her some self confidence back, make her feel good about herself, let her know you still love her. If she brings up the innocent, talk about it and just tell her it will be okay, just never do it again. I feel bad that there are charges involved, she most likely did not understand the consequences that could be involved and she is mentally retarded and that should be taken into consideration, it has to be very frighting for her. Now I have a DS son who is twenty, he is very influenced by what he See's on T.V. and he repeats allot of what he hears. Let us know how she is doing.
Good Luck to You, Karen W.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
(female)

Jensmom HB User

I can understand exactly what you are going through. Our 24 year old DS daughter had a psychotic breakdown due to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 3 years ago. It is a heartwrenching experience to go through. We spent many months searching for doctors with knowledge of DS and psychosis. We eventually ended up at the Down's Syndrome Clinic at the Kennedy Kreiger Center in Baltimore MD. Dr. Capone helped treat our daughter, and through trial and error with proper medicine dosages and with therapy, she has come through this. She will never be exactly the same, but in many ways she is stronger and more open with her feelings and needs. I highly recommend that you continue to look for a doctor with experience with Developmentally Disabled folks with Mental Health issues. If I can answer any questions or be of further support, I will be here.
Sarah

Old 07-18-2006, 11:56 PM   #5
shawm

FROM SHAWM: WHILE IT'S NOT QUITE IN THE SAME LEAGUE...I WENT THROUGH SOME SIMILAR SITUATIONS WITH MY SISTER MARCIA...THE FIRST WAS WHEN SHE WORKED AT MC DONALDS AND HER ZIPPER WAS DOWN...SHE WAS CLEANING UP AROUND THE PLAY CENTER AND MOST LIKELY TOLD SOME KID NOT TO RUN OR SCREAM...THE MOTHER CAME OVER AND SAW THE ZIPPER DOWN AND COMPLAINED THAT THE HAD EXPOSED HERSELF...NOTHING CAME OF IT BUT IT STILL HURT...THE OTHER TIME WAS WHEN WE WHERE AT WALMART AND AS USUAL MARCIA WAS OFF BY HERSELF SHOPPING...A SECURITY GUARD CAME OVER TO MY FATHER AND ME WHILE WE WERE IN LINE TO CHECK OUT AND PROCEEDED TO TELL ME THAT MY BROTHER (MARCIA HAD BY THAT TIME BEEN CUTTING HER HAIR VERY SHORT AND HAD GAINED WEIGHT SO SHE HAD LOST HER GIRL LOOK) ANYWAY EVEN AFTER I TOLD THE SECURITY GUARD WHAT WAS UP (HE DIDN'T LOOK TO BRIGHT) HE TOLD ME THAT SHE HAD PATTED AN EMPLOY ON THE BUTT...MOST LIKELY SHE WANTED TO GET BY AND TAPPED HER TO GET HER TO MOVE...THINGS GOT VERY TENSE AND MARCIA WAS EXTREMLY ANGRY...I TRIED TO GET HER TO LEAVE WITH ME AND SHE PUSHED MY VERY HARD ...THIS WAS A BAD SCENE...THINGS CALMED DOWN BUT THEY TOOK HER NAME AND ADDRESS...I THOUGH SHE WAS GOING TO BE ARRESTED...NOTHING EVER CAME OF IT BUT I WAS VERY CAREFUL AFTER THAT TO BE AWARE OF WHERE SHE WAS AT ALL TIMES...JUST LET HER KNOW SHE IS LOVED UNCONDITIONALY...GOOD LUCK

Old 07-29-2006, 03:27 AM   #6

fine HB User

Hello,
I'm new to this, but I have a problem that I hope someone can help with. I have a 34yr. old sister ,Jan, with DS. Growing up I've always protected her against other peple and their stupidity. She has always been happy and easy going. After my mother pasted away four years ago, she has become very agressive towards whomever is caring for her. She has lived with my brother and his family, myself, and now is staying with my sister and her family. The main problem is that my mother never assigned guardinship. So, she is her own in the States eyes. Don't get me wrong, she is a very smart girl, but she has changed from the happy funny girl to a very upset adult. She can go from a huge out of controle rampage to calm and still within minutes. She can be rude and ugly to one person and nice and wonderful to another. It just depends if she likes you at that moment or not. We have tried to give her what she wants, but she has shut everyone out of her life. We have tried to ask for help from local organizations, but nothing. Basicly they say," Well she has DS, that is expected ." or " Sorry, but we can't help you, she is her own adult." Last month, she got upset with my sister over a coke. My sister had just come from the store and the cokes were not yet in the house. Jan wanted one right then. To make a long stroy short, my sister (Dee) was sent to the emergency room with a dislocated knee. Still to this day, Jan, feels no remorse for what she did. This is the last straw. Now she is tring to hurt people. Her anger is getting worse. My sister is frighten for kids. We can not even get her to shower, she has started using the trash can in her room to go to the bathroom. I need some help, where do I go from here. My friends tell me to take her to a syc. ward, but I'm affraid that with destroy her. She has never been away from family, but it seems she is to for gone to even realize we are her family. So please, can anyone out there help!
Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Lightbulb Re: How to Treat Psychotic Breakdown in 24-year-old DS female?

Hi,
I Have a Ds Son but I also have a friend who's daughter is 35 and they are having allot of problems. First of all you need to talk to social worker if she has one, if not , you should get one for her, if she gets SSi, one should be available for her. Is she involved in any programs, such as Easter Seal or an adult daycare? If not , she should be in one, She needs to be told right from wrong , sometimes you have to wait till it's the right time to talk to her, talking to her when she is angry is not the time. She needs to do Jobs around the house to earn money, it dose not have to be allot of money but it teaches her responsibility. She also needs to go to her regular Doctor and he needs to be told about her anger outbursts, they is medication she can be put on to calm things down, there could be a medical reason for some of her actions or maybe it's just her bad mood swings, either way, there is some kind of medication for her. Ds Adults don't like change, they have a routine and they like things just the way there are, Because the don't like change, this also can be a reason for these outburst's.
Keep me posted on how things are going,
Karen
Karen

Closed Thread