It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
(female)

leenga HB User
Slower Children's Songs

Did a web search and didn't find anything.

Looking to see if there is a CD out there of childrens' songs that would be good for my niece with Downs.

We think it would be great to find some music that is a little slower than "normal" that would be easier for her to follow.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User
Re: Slower Children's Songs

2 things we use (and she likes still at 33 years old) are Indian/Native American music and children's lullaby CD's. She also is "into" easy listening, especially music from the 40 and 50s.

We ahve yet to find slower kid tapes so will be watching this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Smile Re: Slower Children's Songs

Hi,
I really feel you don't need slower children's songs, you'd be amazed at what they can learn, I think sometimes we underestimate them, if they like a song and play it over and over, they will learn it, my son who is Downs, He plays music all the time, he loves the beat, he loves to dance and he sing along the best he can, He totally looses himself, He loves various types of music, From Rock'n Roll to 50's music and he loves Shaina Twain, Billy Joel and Bon Jovi, He even has small piano, a guitar and tambourine to play along.
Karen W.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
(male)

goater9 HB User

Hey you don't need slower songs you need faster songs. My daughter Natasha absolutely adores music and I think there is a lot of truth in the rumour that Downs kids love music 'cos she's mad about tunes. Hey Downs kids aren't slow at everything. Have you tried her with rock n roll I'll bet she'll love it. I kid you not!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
(female)

leenga HB User

She is 5 1/2 and she does really love all music. But, she is always behind it. For example, something like "Head, shoulders, knees and toes" where you actually act it out. She is always way behind the words with her actions. If it was slowed down a little I think she would enjoy it more.

Last edited by leenga; 08-03-2006 at 12:55 PM.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
(female)

youngmom_2 HB User

You should try the wiggles. My brother loves them and has ever since we discovered them a couple years ago. They are fun and I know quite a few downs kids of all ages who absolutely adore them!

Old 09-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
(female)

leenga HB User

Yes she does love the Wiggles, also Barney, and Elmo. But they are fast.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
(female)

exprongerfan HB User

The Edmonton Down Syndrome Society in Edmonton, AB has exactly what you're looking for. As an Early Interventionist, I often used their "Let's Make Music" CD at our playgroups. You can search their website for the ordering form - edss.ca

Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
(female)

hfalk95 HB User

You could make your own tape/CD. Find someone at church, suport group or where ever to play piano and you could sing the tunes at the speed right for your child. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenga
She is 5 1/2 and she does really love all music. But, she is always behind it. For example, something like "Head, shoulders, knees and toes" where you actually act it out. She is always way behind the words with her actions. If it was slowed down a little I think she would enjoy it more.

Last edited by hfalk95; 10-19-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #10
(female)

leenga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by exprongerfan
The Edmonton Down Syndrome Society in Edmonton, AB has exactly what you're looking for. As an Early Interventionist, I often used their "Let's Make Music" CD at our playgroups. You can search their website for the ordering form - edss.ca

thank you, thank you

that is exactly what i'm talking about!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
(female)

exprongerfan HB User

Glad I could help! Not my usual board but your post caught my attention as I was scrolling down the list!

Closed Thread