It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

shotry128 HB User
Baby sitting baby with D/S Need some help fast

I have been watching James for several months now while his Mom goes to work. He has always had trouble moving his bowels. Since he was born the poopies has been a very frustrating and lengthy job. This child pushes and goes through contortions and makes faces for hours and nothing happens. Most of the time his stools are very soft and should not be a problem to pass. They seem to get right there and then stop. His Mom told me to let him try as long as he can before he becomes very upset and at that time I should help him by taking a thermometer and gently insert it into his rectum and it makes him go. That works sometime but now for the last few days it is not doing much. His little butt is so tender. I do not think it is good to use the thermometer. There is so much for me to learn about this condition .Is that normal ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
(female)

shotry128 HB User
Re: Baby sitting baby with D/S Need some help fast

Thank You so much for your time .It is not that his constipation Is caused by hard stools .or lack of fluid. It They can be watery he still can not seem to pass them .I am assuming the theromeater is to stimulate the rectem so they will pass . I would think if he had to go that bad the stool would just involantery pass. The poor little guy . I want to be fairly educated on this subjuct before I bring it up to the MOM.I think this could be more serious ,Help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User
Re: Baby sitting baby with D/S Need some help fast

There is correlation between a particular bowel disease, called Hirschsprung's Disease, and Down syndrome. My son has both... My son was completely blocked and could not pass a BM at all, however, for most children, it presents as chronic constipation... sometimes families don't think of it as something the child was born with because it doesn't start until solid foods are started, etc.

Maybe you could look it up online, and see if you think James fits more of the description.... awkward to bring it up to the parents I'd imagine...

Closed Thread