HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Down Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/down-syndrome/)
-   -   I'm a New SM for a Downs Child (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/down-syndrome/41581-im-new-sm-downs-child.html)

Scweethart 01-02-2001 05:22 PM

I'm a New SM for a Downs Child

My fiance just got primary custody of his twins (age 4) and I am helping to raise them. One has Downs. My question is about metabolism. Is a high metabolism assoiated with Downs? He eats and eats and never seems full, yet he's skinnier than his twin sister. He is quite obsessed with food. I'd like more info about this.

------------------
Renee

masmiles 01-12-2001 01:27 PM

Actually, a lower metabolism and thyroid problems are quite common with kids with DS. I would address your questions to his pediatrician.

Take care,
Jessica

Kennedy 01-20-2001 11:05 AM

My 2 year old is the same way! My pediatrician said it is quite normal. She xcan eat and eat and never gets full, she is a bit chubby and never complains she's hungry but when she eats she won't stop and when I or my hubby eats after she is right in there wanting our food after a big br,ln,and dinner! I think its all in the child!

Scweethart 01-20-2001 02:49 PM

Kennedy, That's exactly what he does. He has lots of cuddly baby fat but he's not overweight and doesn't really look chubby. He likes to stick his belly out an rub it, after he's striped himself of his shirt.

;) Renee :D

Kennedy 01-20-2001 10:00 PM

WOW...Do we have twins?? Abigail does the excact same thing!! She always takes her shirt off and rubs her tummy, we usually find her shirt 1/2 on 1/2 off...lol!!! I have never really noticed when she does it....maybe I'll try to!! I don't think there is anything to worry about and I am an over protective mother..but we have a pediatrician who specializes in DS cases so we were very lucky he was in the delivery room.we usually just laugh when she does it!! Just like when ever theres ANY music she'll dance!Even in her carseat...lol!! Some people will try to scare you(at least they did to me) and tell you theres something wrong and to run to the doctor but really it's just his personality I think? Alot of people don't know alot about DS but claim to. So learning that I have learned to just rely on my instincts. If he's a happy child....All the more not to worry about! Good luck!

Scweethart 01-22-2001 07:49 AM

I'm not too worried. Just curious. He's my happy boy (cept when his nose is stuffy like all last week).

Renee

mslinda 03-07-2001 12:30 PM

i agree, watch the eating. my son was only 16 lbs at 2 1/2 yrs. It caught up with when he was about 5. Now we have to watch his weight. Control the food now and make sure the right foods are offered. my son now loves veggies, which helps with watching his weight. he is 11yrs 4ft tall and 105 lbs.make sure thye get plenty of exercise, it is good for their muscles.

------------------
linda ;-)