It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2001, 08:59 PM   #1

kel0212 HB User
Post Does Blood Relation in parents causes Babies with down syndrome ?

I hope i'm not bothering you with a very trival question, but i need to know the answer to this question before i can make an important decision in my life.... Is there scientific prove or explainations that says that there are an increase chances of giving birth to childrens with down syndrome when the parents are first cousins or are closely related in blood ties ? i know this may be maybe a stupid question but i have heard from frens that this might be true, and i just want more information and facts on it. Thanks for spending the time reading my email and regards.

Regards
Kelvin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2001, 12:24 AM   #2

Kennedy HB User
My pediatrician who specializes in DS told us the only risk is if you have a child already with downs then your chance increases a bit. Otherwise I can't say but With first cousins other problems other than downs obviously should be a concern and can very easily happen. Unfortunatley I know that first hand from a friend.People don't seem to understand that Downs(lets say trisomy 21) happens when the chromasomes merge and extra one is created(forgive the dumb explanation I am very tired right now).It is mostly just fluke of life and there is absolultey nothing you can really do about it and thats a fact. You have just as much chance of having a baby with ds as anyone else depending on your age.Hope that helped it is excactly what my doctor told me just not in the medical terms.

[This message has been edited by Kennedy (edited 04-02-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2001, 08:32 AM   #3

Evesmother HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by kel0212:
I hope i'm not bothering you with a very trival question, but i need to know the answer to this question before i can make an important decision in my life.... Is there scientific prove or explainations that says that there are an increase chances of giving birth to childrens with down syndrome when the parents are first cousins or are closely related in blood ties ? i know this may be maybe a stupid question but i have heard from frens that this might be true, and i just want more information and facts on it. Thanks for spending the time reading my email and regards.

Regards
Kelvin
First cousins do not have an increased chance in having children with Down syndrome just by virtue of being first cousins. However there are people who have an increased chance of translocations but this usually isn't known until after the first or second baby with DS is born. If you know of a number of Down syndrome births in your parents' families, it would be a good idea to go to a high-risk prenatal department of a university hospital and ask to be tested to see if you are a carrier. This is also true for a number of other conditions. In the case of close relatives...there is the chance that both parents may have inherited genes that together will double the chances that some disease will be passed on to their children. Your questions should be taken to a genetic-counsellor.

Old 05-21-2001, 08:35 AM   #4

Evesmother HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by kel0212:

Regards
Kelvin
First cousins do not have an increased chance in having children with Down syndrome just by virtue of being first cousins. However there are people who have an increased chance of translocations but this usually isn't known until after the first or second baby with DS is born. If you know of a number of Down syndrome births in your parents' families, it would be a good idea to go to a high-risk prenatal department of a university hospital and ask to be tested to see if you are a carrier. This is also true for a number of other conditions. In the case of close relatives...there is the chance that both parents may have inherited genes that together will double the chances that some disease will be passed on to their children. Your questions should be taken to a genetic-counsellor.

Old 06-27-2001, 09:32 PM   #5

lj-111 HB User
Many things could go medically wrong to a developing embryo/fetus when produced by 2 blood related persons. That doesn't mean it will, but it certainly can. The closer the relation the more at risk you are and it has certainly been proven that 1st cousins are considered closely related if by genetic factors alone, despite the moral and legal aspects of inbreeding. Inbreeding meaning; To produce by closely related individuals.

There is a long-held view among geneticists that inbreeding tends to concentrate undesirable or even lethal recessive genes, which might otherwise not be expressed. Mental retardation may sometimes be the outcome of such matings. According to many scientist's in Genetics programs at different universities, the genetic risks may actually be quite high. One article revealed a higher than expected incidence of abnormal neuropsychiatric findings among patients who were the child or younger member of a blood relative relationship; e.g., a higher incidence of seizures and lower IQ.

For more detailed genetic information relating to inbreeding or incest, I suggest you contact a Department of Medical Genetics. Or call the American Association on Mental Retardation (202-387-1968).

TO SPECIFY FIRST COUSIN REPRODUCTION:
Children of first cousins have F = 0.25, and so are identical by descent at 1/4 of their loci. If any of these loci affect peri-natal health, mortality rates of inbred children will on average be higher. Several studies comparing mortality rates among children of first-cousin marriages versus children of non-relatives have been made, based on extensive parish records of marriages [which indicate consanguinity], births, & deaths. In each case, the early mortality of the children born to related parents is higher. The reduced health of inbred individuals is called inbreeding depression.

Hope this helps!!
lj-111

Closed Thread