It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

DayDreaming

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2001, 12:01 PM   #1
Nanc
(female)

Nanc HB User
Post DayDreaming

My 15 year old daughter has started "zoning out" , or "seems to be in her own world", She will be looking up into the air as if she see's someone, then will start moving her lips like she is having a conversation with the person, but doesn't say anything outloud. She will laugh out loud, or make a loud noise like she is really excited. She lately has started moving her body around like she is putting alot of excitement into the conversation. To get her to stop, I sometimes have to say her name loud two or three times to get her attention. I will ask her, "Who were you talking to, or Who did you see", and the person that she says is usually always someone that she really likes alot, it is a person that she is familiar with. I didn't think much of it at first, but it has become a habit kind of thing, she is moving around in her chair, and sometimes even when she is walking along, she will be moving her body around like she is in the conversation thing again. I don't know if anyone else has had this happen with there child. If it has, what did you do to get it stopped? I tell her to stop, and she will for a few seconds then start back into it again. It is like she does it without really knowing that she is. She always is happy when she is doing it, but she will hold her breath and let it out and move around so much that is really makes people around her nervous. Any Ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2001, 02:02 PM   #2
masmiles

masmiles HB User
Have you mentioned this to your pediatrician? I know that when this happens in younger children, it is possible they are having seizures, but have never heard of this in anyone in their teens. Perhaps she is just into the "imaginary friends" stage that "normal" kids go through when they are younger?

I have also heard other explanations, but I guess they depend on your beliefs. I have heard that our kids are "just a little closer to God" and their minds are open to untangible things that have no explanation that we are trained to block out. I have a friend whose child has regular conversations with her grandfather who passed away nearly a year ago. They laugh and share stories. She says, "Pop is watching out for me, don't worry." It makes her feel better for her missing him...they were very close.

I know this wasn't much help, but first I think I would bring it up to your doctor, or just accept it as a phase, and wait for it to get better.

Old 01-25-2001, 06:10 PM   #3
Royalene

Royalene HB User
Smile

We have had Joey for almost 1 year now. He is 34 and at this very moment in his room talkingto his imaginary friend. When we ask him who is talking to he says no one or God. He also does a very strange thing and I think it is related. He takes his pajama bottoms attached to a pants hanger then attaches a string or chain to that than a regular clothes hanger and swings it up and down. He will do this for alomost an hour at a time. I kind of wonder if it is the motion of a person? Joey was very isolated from the community, we are trying very hard to get him out. Working, activities, etc.

If your daughter is starting to talk to an imaginary friend, I feel you shouldn't ask her to stop. This is there way of being able to talk to someone that will understand them and accept them for who they are no matter what.

Old 02-21-2001, 10:10 AM   #4
kute_lil_mama

kute_lil_mama HB User
Even now, at 5 months, my daughter smiles and stares in directions that have no obvious interest to me. I find myself saying, "that is just a wall dear." Knowing that she cannot understand me. lol. And at times she will "talk" to her hand for 30 minutes at a time sometimes!!!! I think it is cute and harmless, but I do find it a little strange. I always thought that she was talking to angles. That's cool. Who couldn't use one of them around the house? (^_^)

Old 05-01-2001, 11:01 AM   #5
donnajeanne

donnajeanne HB User
Dear Nanc,
I have the exact same situation with my 16 year old daughter. She has been through multiple medical tests and is currently taking Zoloft with some improvement. This happened all of a sudden and she even self talks at inappropriate times. When we ask her who is talking to or what about she will say "nothing". Please email and let me know if you have found anything more about this.
Thanks

------------------

Old 07-07-2001, 05:17 PM   #6
Nanc
(female)

Nanc HB User
Hi
We have not taken her back to the doctor yet.I am trying a nutrition shake called Reliv, to see if it helps her any. They have told me that they feel it replaces vitamins and minerals that she is lacking in from not getting the right amount thru the food she eats. She is a pretty picky eater, and basically eats the same kinds of foods over and over, so she probably is lacking different vitamins ect.... I am hopeing that this will help her. They told me that it will help her in the areas of helping her sinuses and her hair falling out so easily and other things that may be a problem, but they didn't know for sure if it will help with this problem of her talking to herself, daydreaming, moving her body around like she is in a deep conversation with people. I fugured there is no harm in trying to see if it will help. I am also taking it myself to see if it helps my aches and pains, to see if it works or not. My daughter can not communicate, weather she feels a difference or not, I have to just find the signs of sicknesses not showing up as often to see if I think it will work for her or not. I am hopeing it will help her though. If it doesn't then, I will have to take her to the doctor and see if I can put her on a medicine to help. I have had her on medicines in the past, that seemed to make her behaviors all out of wack, so I am doing that only as a last resort.

Closed Thread