It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2002, 04:16 AM   #1

JaredsMom30 HB User
Talking great news this morning

will someone please return my real son because the "little angel" hehee I'm sorry i do mean that in good fun ....got up, got dressed, ate breakfast and got on the bus with ZERO PROBLEMS. Inside i was jumping up and down with joy because i expected having to drag him out of bed by his arms...which is the normal routine...nothing like aerobic exercise there haha...and he didn't want to go back to school even!! Then the added bonus, after fighting with the CST all summer about changing Jared's transportation to a van or getting an aide...the bew bus and driver pulls up..is very friendly..and introduces me to the AIDE on the bus!!!!! I am so happy this morning lol...I told the driver i could hug her...asked her how on earth she managed it....She smiled and said she just told her boss she would need an aide...woooo hooo I can't believe it!!!!!
So the Child Study...supposed to be there to provide for my sons needs..couldn't be bothered and the new driver took care of it
I still can not get over Jared's behavior this morning...believe me I am thrilled just very very surprised. I didn't even think he'd make it onto the bus this morning because I anticipated a huge fight...I think he does those kinds of things to keep me on my toes LOL.
Hubby and I started a new behavioral plan with him yesterday but I didn't think he would retain it so quickly. Of course I know this morning..could be a fluke..but maybe we are on our way to getting these behaviors taken care of..we will see how his day goes.
Jared also looked very pleased with himself because the aide is a pretty young thing He is starting to like "pretty ladies."
Yesterday when i called the child study team to ASK an update on the transportation issue...the director told me he would look into it and get back to me. He called back saying that he spoke to the new bus company and there was no aide. That sounded suspicious because when the new driver had called the week before..she had told me then she thought maybe she could get the aide...so I am betting the man lied to me AGAIN and never bothered to call..why would the bus company tell him there was no aide and then she shows up with one this morning? Does that sound weird to anyone else? I am getting really tired of this man and his lies. So from now on everything I say to him will be through certified letter..including a written not of every phone call!!
Well just wanted to share my good news
Marie
Mom to Jared 10

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2002, 05:34 PM   #2

heyu HB User
Cool

Hi,
my son started last monday before the holiday and as of that morning he had no bus bringing him home so I went and picked him up, was told that there was someone but I wanted to meet them, so went back the next day to pick him up, met her and the aid, then wed he was brought home by another bus driver and aid and they said they will be his driver, then thurs. he had a diff. driver with no aid and high school and jr.high kids on the bus with him, so off again calling the supervisior of special ed and off to pick him up again yesterday, but finally today he got his old drive and aid which he has had since he was 2 so this was a BIG relife for me, so I know what you have or are going threw, why cant these people do there jobs, and stop messing us around???? You can bet if it were there child everthing would be in order......
bye
kim

Old 09-05-2002, 04:00 AM   #3

JaredsMom30 HB User
I hear ya Kim!! Sometimes with the schools and Child Study Teams it all comes down to money! I'm glad your son finally got his aide and driver back..your right..if it were their child they would get their stuff together...grrr.get's fustrating sometimes doesn't it? Hang in there and it's nice to meet you
Marie
Mom to Jared 10

Old 09-05-2002, 11:11 PM   #4
Inactive

mom8times HB User
Thumbs up

Amy and the rest of the kids (4 of them still at home, 5, counting my niece) started school on Sept 3rd. I was all prepared to go through hell with Amy also. Usually it's a fight to get her to wake up, then a fight to drag her off the bed (she grabs the edge of the mattress and hangs on); a fight to dress her,(she hangs on to her nightgown, then keeps removing the school blouse I try to put on, refuses to put her pants on, acts like her shoes hurt & keeps taking them off; she grabs my arms and holds them by my side so I can't brush her hair, and then takes her time eating breakfast and won't get up from the table; hangs on to the front door as we go out then refuses to go down our twelve steps and then the minute we start walking to the car wants to take her shoes off! IF, after all this, I get her all the way out to the front of the apartment complex (it's a quarter mile to the front so we take the car)in time to catch the bus, we're fine. Often we don't make it in time and I have to drive her.
The past 3 days, like Jared, Amy has been absolutely FANTASTIC!!! An absolute ANGEL! But then, so have the other kids. I figure it's just new to them right now, and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.
Amy has had the same bus driver since last year so I feel good. One thing that has always bothered me is trusting my child with strangers. Amy can't communicate except for simple one word sentences asking for things. She'd never be able to tell me someone hurt her. I have to rely solely on her body language, to know if she trusts someone. And she seems happy with Bill the bus driver. There is no aide on the bus, but I don't know if it's just because Amy is the first on the bus in the morning.
What I don't understand is WHY kids have to be at school so darn EARLY in the darn morning!! <GROAN!> Amy has to catch her bus by 6:50 a.m. every school morning to be at school when the bell rings at 7:30 a.m.!

Old 09-06-2002, 07:37 AM   #5

JaredsMom30 HB User
Hi Momof8! Boy I would like to know too why the kids have to be on the bus so early!! Jared gets on the bus at 6:40 am grrrrr...and his school doesn't start til 8 poor kid! He's the first picked up.

LOL it's not funny but I had to laugh at some of the stuff you mentioned about your daughter because so much of it sounds like stuff Jared has done or does do...speech with him is so-so but I am hoping he will go farther than he is right now.

Hope you can get a break?? somewhere? Have a good day

Old 09-06-2002, 04:55 PM   #6

heyu HB User
Talking

HI GUYS,
WOW IM GLAD THAT AMY IS DOING GOOD SO FAR, I ALWAYS HAVE THE SAME FEARS WITH BUS DRIVERS, THIS IS WHY I WAS PICKING BRANDON UP THE FIRST FEW DAYS OF SCHOOL UNTIL I FOUND OUT WHO HE WAS GOING TO BE WITH, ITS TO SCARRY OUT THERE THESE DAY, AND ALSO LIKE AMY BRANDON DOESNT REALLY TALK ALOT YET.
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR THE 2 OF YOUS.... HAVE YOU EVER HAD ANY EATING PROBLEM WITH THEM I THINK U TOLD ME THAT AMY STILL EATS SOFT FOODS, BRANDONS STILL EATING BABY FOOD, EXCEPT FOR REAL OATMEAL, PUDDING, AND YOGURT, AND ICE CREAM.. COMPLAINS ALOT ABOUT HIS TEETH HURTING SO I HAVE TO FIND A PED. DENTIST.
BYE,
KIM

Old 09-07-2002, 12:26 AM   #7
Inactive

mom8times HB User
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by heyu:
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR THE 2 OF YOUS.... HAVE YOU EVER HAD ANY EATING PROBLEM WITH THEM I THINK U TOLD ME THAT AMY STILL EATS SOFT FOODS, BRANDONS STILL EATING BABY FOOD, EXCEPT FOR REAL OATMEAL, PUDDING, AND YOGURT, AND ICE CREAM.. COMPLAINS ALOT ABOUT HIS TEETH HURTING SO I HAVE TO FIND A PED. DENTIST.
BYE,
KIM[/B]
Well, when Amy went into the hospital for open heart surgery (VSD) she was 15 months and she was still on strained baby food, because she choked so easily, and after having a bad bout with pneumonia from aspirating food into her lungs one time, ..quite honestly...I was afraid to take a chance on her choking again. So imagine me coming in late one morning to visit Amy and finding a nurse's aide literally SHOVELING scrambled eggs into Amy's mouth!!! I almost tripped over the iv pole and my feet trying to get to her before she choked to death ....but then I stopped. And took a look. Amy was managing just fine. Totally amazing!! So from that point on, I continued the scrambled eggs and then moved on to mashed potatoes with vegetables mashed in and gravy, slowly adding more chunks.
Slowly but surely Amy's found joy in chicken and barbecued ribs. She LOVES beans!! And spaghetti, and tomato soup with lots of crackers, mushed in. And potato chips! Most foods, so long as they cut up to fit her spoon,(she hates the fork) she'll eat. Oh there are still some things she won't have anything to do with, because of the texture. Corn, chocolate chip ice cream, chunky peanut butter, ..anything with little pebble like things in it are a no no. Ah, but SOME DAY................

Old 09-07-2002, 11:33 AM   #8

JaredsMom30 HB User
My son will eat just about anything! One thing he never had an issue with was eating, he handled it well from the beginning..the only things I would say is that he hates anything sweet..the most he has ever eaten is soft custard and some soda. He must have his food room temperature..to hot or to cold and he wont eat it!
HeyU..how old is Brandon? I once worked with a little boy who was 5 that refused to eat anything but baby food. He had a lot of chewing/swallowing problems. I would work with him on this by using a vibrating tooth brush in my mouth...massaging the gums..taking cheerio's and rubbing them over his lips and teeth. It's a fustratingly slow process..but it was starting to work..before I left there he was tolerating cheerios in his mouth..just a thought if you have't tried it already!
Marie
Mom to Jared 10

Old 09-08-2002, 10:21 PM   #9

heyu HB User
Talking

MARIE,
BRANDON IS 4 WILL BE 5 IN DEC. WE OFFER HIM EVERYTHING THAT WE EAT, WE TRY AND PUT THINGS ON HIS LIPS, AND HE GETS MAD, HE WILL USE A VIBRATING TOOTH BRUSH OFF AND ON BUT NOT FOR LONG, I KNOW THAT HE CAN CHEW BECAUSE HE WILL CHEW PAPER AND BOOKS AND WHEN I PUT THE FOOD IN HIS MOUTH I WILL SAY CHEW AND HE WILL BUT NOT LIKE WE DO, HE HAS HIS OCCUPATIONAL THYRIPIST AT SCHOOL STUMPID, WE HAVE TRIED ALL THE EXCERSIS, BUT WILL TRY THE TOOTH BRUSH AND CHEERIOS AGAIN.....
THANKS
KIM

Closed Thread