It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2002, 05:47 PM   #1

Chayce's mom HB User
Post pregnancy after downs baby

I have a four year old son who has down syndrome. I had him when I was 25. My AFP and two ultrasounds were normal. My husband and I (and doctors) were very shocked to find out Chayce had down syndrome after he was born. I just found out I'm pregnant and nervous because my doctor says I'm in a higher risk group for having a second child with a chromosonal abnormality (1 and 100 chance). Chayce has trisomy 21 so Allyn and I have normal chromosomes. My doctor wants to do a 14 week amnio since a 10 week CVS is more dangerous to the baby. I am scared about having any test and I feel horribly guilty because I don't think I could handle another handicapped child. Has anyone else been through this? Any thoughts or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Jessica

Old 09-29-2002, 08:05 PM   #2
Inactive

mom8times HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Chayce's mom:I just found out I'm pregnant and nervous because my doctor says I'm in a higher risk group for having a second child with a chromosonal abnormality (1 and 100 chance). I am scared about having any test and I feel horribly guilty because I don't think I could handle another handicapped child. Has anyone else been through this?
[/B]
OH MY YES!!! I know EXACTLY how you feel!! Only I felt I had more reason to worry. In 1989, when I was 42, I had Amy, who's Mosaic Down Syndrome. When I went for my 6 week postnatal check up, the doctor shook her finger at me and said,"What are you doing? You're pregnant again!"
As if anyone dealing with the shock of having a Down's baby and trying to come to grips with all that this entails would go out and get pregnant on purpose!!
I have to tell you, I love my daughter dearly, but the thought of caring for two Downs babies, at that point in time, was more than I could imagine!!
I had the CVS testing done this time, and it came out that my next child was just fine. She was born in 1990, and she was. In 1991, I had a miscarriage. (By this time, I told my husband not to even BREATHE on me!!)
Nevertheless.........NEVERTHELESSSSSSSSS SSS!!! I found myself pregnant again and had my last child in 1992 AND my tubes tied to make sure! LOL
So, to answer your question, having a pregnancy after a Downs child doesn't definitely mean you'll have another Downs child. But testing may help you breathe easier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2002, 08:06 PM   #3

momofhannah HB User
Jessica,

Trisomy 21 is a generic term. There are different types. Mosaic, Translocation, and non disjuntion. Unless you know what type of Down Sydrome your son has. Please do not assume. My daughter has Translocation, which means that there is a chance that either my husband or my self carry down sydrome ( for lack of better words) even though we our selves do not have it. If one of us is a carrier the odds went from 1 in 100 to 1 in 3. I don't know if you know this already, and I don't want to make you more nervous. But this is something that I struggle with, because my hubby would like another, yet he refuses to be tested to see if he is a carrier. And I feel the same way you do, very unsure about being able to do it again.

Sam

Old 09-30-2002, 05:23 AM   #4

Chayce's mom HB User
Chayce has Nondisjunction Trisomy 21. After his geneticist (at Children's Hospital in Denver) looked at his karyotype he said my husband and I did not need to be tested.

------------------
Jessica

Old 10-18-2002, 06:14 PM   #5

vegaspurplegirl HB User
This might help you --- I had a daughter born 6 years ago with T-21, who died due to many complications that go with Down's Syndrome, mainly heart problems, before she was 3 months died. Then I got remarried 2 years ago and in July we got pregnant. I knew that there was early testing available before the end of the 1st trimester, the CV Sampling test. So, I took the test in my 11th week, and it is NOT any more dangerous than an amnio -- your doctor is WRONG about that. Anyway, once again, I was pregnant with a T-21 baby. My husband and I opted to terminate.
By the way, I have 2 healthy boys that were born in my first marriage. My daughter is from my ex-fiance.
I definitely recommend doing the CV Sampling. I have always been against abortion but having another heartbreaking experience like I had with my daughter dying was something I could not bear to go thru.
I talked with the genetic counselor and she said if I were try again the chances are still the same 1% chance.
I did do a carrier blood test, waiting for results, for translocation Downs. Apparently parents can be carriers without having the actual chromosomal defect. And a translocation carrier, can possibly conceive a T-21 child.
Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers... I have been there.

[This message has been edited by vegaspurplegirl (edited 10-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by vegaspurplegirl (edited 10-18-2002).]

Old 12-04-2002, 06:16 PM   #6

Chayce's mom HB User
Well we got the results from the amnio, everything is normal and we are having a girl! I am very relieved but still I worry about other things that could go wrong. I guess my illusions of having everything be "perfect" have been ruined so my imagination runs wild. I do feel much better and I'm glad I had the test. Thanks for everyones support.

------------------
Jessica

Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
(female)

kyla's mum HB User
Re: pregnancy after downs baby

hiya im new to this just came across it browsing actually......i have 2 daughters ellie nearly four and kyla just turned one kyla was born with translocated downs me and my partner were both tested and the results came back clear.........i have just found out im pregnant again about 7 weeks my nerves are wrecked incase the same thing happens again ....................my doctor hasnt really said much but has referred me to the hospital as normal i know my chances are high but i was just wanting to know if anyone has been in the same situation as myself for moral support

Old 09-05-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
(female)

EmilysMom4 HB User

I felt the same way 8-10 yrs. ago. After our first had DS, I was terrified to have another child. My husband and I could hardly talk about it for at least a year. It was too painful. We knew our chances were greater and weren't sure if we could handle the heartbreak of a second DS birth. 3 years later, we finally got brave enough to try. I was nervous throughout the pregnancy. We did not do amnio or anything else because we were not going to abort a baby. When she was born, we thought for sure we saw DS in her face. We had to get 2 peds to come and check her thoroughly to verify that she did NOT have it. It was a wonderful moment. We've since had 2 more non DS children. Each time we had a 1 in 100 or greater chance to have another DS child, but it didn't happen!

Having the one is such a blessing, but also very hard. I think having 2 would have been too much for our marriage and my sanity.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
(female)

joanna4578 HB User

My first baby, Jenny, was born when I was 24, has T21. My second baby, a boy born 10 months after Jenny, was normal in every way. Didn't have any other pregnancies, but both my kids are healthy. Jenny lives with me and my husband. She has very few health issues - overweight being the worst. My son is married and has 5 children, none with Downs.
Just wanted to share to put your mind at ease.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
(female)

joanna4578 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom8times View Post
OH MY YES!!! I know EXACTLY how you feel!! Only I felt I had more reason to worry. In 1989, when I was 42, I had Amy, who's Mosaic Down Syndrome. When I went for my 6 week postnatal check up, the doctor shook her finger at me and said,"What are you doing? You're pregnant again!"
As if anyone dealing with the shock of having a Down's baby and trying to come to grips with all that this entails would go out and get pregnant on purpose!!
I have to tell you, I love my daughter dearly, but the thought of caring for two Downs babies, at that point in time, was more than I could imagine!!
I had the CVS testing done this time, and it came out that my next child was just fine. She was born in 1990, and she was. In 1991, I had a miscarriage. (By this time, I told my husband not to even BREATHE on me!!)
Nevertheless.........NEVERTHELESSSSSSSSS SSS!!! I found myself pregnant again and had my last child in 1992 AND my tubes tied to make sure! LOL
So, to answer your question, having a pregnancy after a Downs child doesn't definitely mean you'll have another Downs child. But testing may help you breathe easier.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
(female)

joanna4578 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayce's mom View Post
I have a four year old son who has down syndrome. I had him when I was 25. My AFP and two ultrasounds were normal. My husband and I (and doctors) were very shocked to find out Chayce had down syndrome after he was born. I just found out I'm pregnant and nervous because my doctor says I'm in a higher risk group for having a second child with a chromosonal abnormality (1 and 100 chance). Chayce has trisomy 21 so Allyn and I have normal chromosomes. My doctor wants to do a 14 week amnio since a 10 week CVS is more dangerous to the baby. I am scared about having any test and I feel horribly guilty because I don't think I could handle another handicapped child. Has anyone else been through this? Any thoughts or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Jessica

Old 09-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #12
(female)

Second time HB User

There is something I am wondering. Did you feel something different when you were pregnant with a baby who had down syndrome? Was it different than your other pregnancy?

Thank You

Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
(female)

scaper HB User

The pregnancy with our son was different than with our daughter. I was 23 when I was pregnant with first child - she was very active & I felt her move several times a day. Too, I could drive by a fast food restaurant & become ill. I delivered a 7 lb. healthy girl. I was 29 & pregnant with our Son. I could eat anything, anytime, and never get nauseau .... and he was very quiet in movement. My 9th month with him, I became really fearful because there would be days go by when I didn't feel him move or maybe just a flutter. My Dr. did several ultrasounds and a couple of stress tests .. all came back normal.... Dr. said my age probably was the difference I was feeling. It was the day after his birth that we learned our son had DS - YES - there was a difference in pregnancies.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
(female)

sandygriffin74 HB User

after my son was born i was told not to have any more kids. but i got pregnant when he was 2 (unplanned). the doctor did afp and it was normal i chose not to have amnio i want through that the first time no thank you. any way my daughter was born perfectly fine. other that her mean streak and stubbornness she is "normal". in fact all three of my other children are. they say you are higher risk and i guess that is true but i've only heard of one person actually having a second child with downs and hers are translocation (hereditary). good luck with a second pregnancy and dont stress it's not good for the baby. im sure what ever decision you make will be the right one for you and your family.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
(female)

stacie087 HB User

hello, well thats strange that they said you have a higher chance. My son is 2 and he was born with down syndrome. His was trisonomy 21 also. We took him to a genetics doctor and we were tested for the gene. the doctor said since it was trisonomy 21 that it was just the chromosome separating 1 too many times and it had nothing to do with either of us. and we had the same chances as everyone else of having a child without downsyndrome. With my pregnancy i did notice that something wasnt right and he barely moved but my test all came back negative. I think your gonna be just fine. everyone feels the same way as you, cause you have been through alot im sure with your first child.

Closed Thread