It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

lilismom HB User
Post Babysitting a teenager with down syndrome

Hi, I am currently a student studying special education. I currently accepted a job "babysitting" a first year high school student everyday after school for a few hours everyday. I have been trying to find activities that we can do while I am with him that is intellectually/developmentally stimulating and overall fun. Since it is getting cooler outside here I want activities we can do inside. I have never worked with a child with down syndrome, only autistic children, so if you have any additional information that you would want someone to know who was watching your child, I welcome it. I just want my time with him to be valuable and fun.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #2

starcrush HB User
Re: Babysitting a teenager with down syndrome

try to find things that interest him they can catch his attention like maybe puzzles and boardgames . try to be patient with him or her. they tend to be very smart people and lovaeable. my sister has a disabilty so i have experiece working with the challenged.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User

They can be very normal kids.... so start there...

many of them are very high functioning..have very wicked senses of humor... they often love to entertain people...

my son loves basketball... he doesnt comprehend the rules of the game...but he loves to shoot baskets, taking turns...

so..talk to the kid... ask him what he likes, dislikes... don't just plan it all FOR him...get him involved in his choices, he might be much more receptive to your efforts that way!!

Old 09-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
(female)

lilismom HB User

Thank you for your advice. He is the sweetest boy I have ever worked with. I know what activities he likes but the problem is getting him away from the television. As soon as he comes home he turns it on. I have been pretty successful with getting him away from it to go outside but not with any other activities like games or puzzles that he has. he knows exactly which show comes on at what time and so when that time comes he wants to do that instead.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
(female)

angelique5 HB User

Sounds a bit like my son..but it's not TV programs..its movies..especially spider man... he wants to come straight home...watch it for the 100th time...and ACT OUT THE ENTIRE MOVIE!! ahahaa...

well..good luck..maybe you could teach him some compromise... "ok, you watch ONE of your tv programs, and then we do something *I* want to do.."

??

Old 09-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
(female)

youngmom_2 HB User

It sounds like you're talking about my 14 year old brother! lol He loves his television and movies but it's easy to get him away if you have music. Dance and sing with him. Get him up and active. I can almost guarantee that if you act silly he will love it and get involved too. That's what I do with my brother. He is just like any other teenage boy. He gets an attitude sometimes but if you just have patience he will eventually get tired of you messing with him and do what you want. We love to dance and listen to music so maybe you could try this. You can even incoorperate kicking, standing on one foot, jumping, etc. to make it sort of like occupational therapy Good luck! and have fun!!

Old 09-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
(female)

lilismom HB User

Thank you all for your responses... I am figuring out what will get him more active (and dancing and singing definitely is one of those things)

Closed Thread