It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

JulieP3 HB User
Unhappy nuchal translucency/fold test to determine abnormalities in fetuses

Does anyone know or have they gone through a pregnancy in which they were told that their unborn baby could have a potential problem b/c of a prominent nuchal fold? I went for an ultra sound on Aug 31st, and was called Sept 10 letting me know that my baby looks very healthy, but that it has a 'prominent nuchal fold" which is correlated with down's syndrome. I am freaking out here. They are in the process of scheduling me for a triple/quadruple scan, and based on those results they will determine if I will be going to get a amnio. I am very scared I am a 30 year old woman whose husband is only 24 so I don't think that that is high risk for defects per se) but if anyone has any perspective on this, I would appreciate hearing from you

Last edited by JulieP3; 09-11-2006 at 10:37 PM. Reason: changing icon

Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
(female)

Lily's mom HB User
Re: nuchal translucency/fold test to determine abnormalities in fetuses

I know how scary this is, but the only conclusive test is an amnio. Research on the internet and you will see that the neuchal fold is very often wrong. I had big risk factors(agd 39), so I had all the tests done. I have a child with down syndrome and know that if that is the case it is not the end of the world. She/He will bring just as much love and joy into your lives as any other child.
Best of luck, Lily's mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
(female)

mlieteau HB User
Re: nuchal translucency/fold test to determine abnormalities in fetuses

I agree with the prior post - only an amnio will tell you for sure. Note that the nuchal translucency/fold test is a relatively new procedure and is intended only to be a screening test to determine if further and more conclusive testing needs to be done - as in your case - it does not mean that they have determined conclusivelt that your baby has DS.

I do have a co-worker who had this done, and while I don't know the specifics, the nuchal translucency scan + her blood tests warranted an amnio. The amnio came out JUST FINE - although she cried and cried for days until she did the amnio and got the results.

PLEASE TRY TO REMAIN CALM although I know its very hard and that you are very concerned. Think positive thoughts for your baby and I wish you a healthy pregnancy, a healthy baby and VERY, VERY good news when you get conclusive results from your further testing.

Closed Thread