It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
(female)

melissa4055 HB User
Lightbulb Son is sneaking food at night

a lot of kids whose parents worry about what they eat 24/7 sneak food a lot because they know they wont be able to have it when moms around. especially when they are at some one elses house or at school. you should give them junk food once in awhile. because whenever they see junk food when their parents arent around they go crazy and eat as much as they can.
like my cousin her mom is way over prtected and doesnt let her eat junk food but when shes at my house she eats like 4 ice cream sticks . she wants to eat as much as she can b/cuz she knows she wouldnt be able to eat any fatty food when she returns home..shes just gonig to end up gaining more weight.
my mom isnt over protected she lets me eat anything i want but most of the time i dont even care for junk food.. i'm not even over weight..

and most kids whose parents dont let them eat junk food are really short too they need some if the nutrition in fatty foods to grow...

Old 07-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User
Re: Son is sneaking food at night

Taking junk food out of the house is not only unfair to everyone else in the home but will not always stop the binge/sneak eating. Mine just switched to eating haf a loaf of bread, left overs, etc. Even started to raid the sugar canister! We were told it is because there is minmal inhibition or impulse control. Duh, I could have told them that ha ha We have yet to find a way to stop it, but adding one med did help with not only the food issue, but impulse control in general (Abilify)

We still struggle with it. She also has a thing for change (quarters, dimes etc). These are all things she can have in moderation and we even splurge so it is not a problem of "I can't have it at home". I do know Prader-Willis(sp?) can have food issues as a primary problem, but my sister does not have that.

We have to hide food and money and try to catch her 'in the act' to provide reinforcment of appropriate actions/choices. Am ready to put alocking knob on the pantry door. Now if I could only get her to make more noise at night so we could know she was up...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
shawm

I can relate to what you are saying...when my sister Marcia was about 7 or 8 she would take caontainers of ice cream and I geuss after eating some she would leave it behind the toilet for safekeeping ...I'm not sure but when I found it the next day and got rid of it she never said a word...Marcia has been known to eat until she gets sick...I too tried locks on the cabinets but my Dad would leave them open and I felt like the warden in a prison...after awhile I just kept soda and food out of site and only took out what we needed for the day...I don't think her brain had that off switch that says hey your full stop eating...as she gained weight she moved less and gained weight and moved less...it was a vicious circle that never stopped...I never found the answer but you have to look at the situation and do what works for your family...good luck and take care

Old 09-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #4

damian_uk HB User

My parents are in a similar situation.

I have a younger brother who is down syndrome, he's 13 and one of twins. I was just hearing a story tonight about how sneeky he is getting.

He loves crisps, he would eat them all day if he was allowed. In fact, he'll sneak down early in the morning and get a packet, and sit eating them in front of the tv.

My parents tried hiding them in the bread bin, but he found them, they tried hiding them somewhere else, but he still found them. So now they have locked them in the utility room. The lock is simply a hook at the top of the door where he can't reach.

This seemed to be working, until my Dad went down a couple of days ago and thought he could smell crisps on my brothers breath. Everytime my Dad walked in to the kitchen, my brother would give him a funny look.

It wasn't long before he found a packet of crisps hidden in the bread bin. I think he was probably sneaking a crisp every time my dad walked out

My Dad couldn't understand how he had got the crisps though. So he locked the utility room door, and said that he couldn't get in, and asked whether my brother could help, to which he signed "yes" (he can't speak much yet), got hold of the broom, and knocked the hook out of the hoop, unlocking the door

I think they are at a loss at what to do now. No matter how they try to keep the crisps away from him, he manages to get to them. The trouble is, he's overweight, and the crisps aren't helping, but they don't want to stop buying them for him altogether.

Closed Thread