It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

hfalk95 HB User
Unhappy I need some advice

Hi I'm new here. My sisiter had a baby last week and at her first well check up(yesterday) She was told he has downs syndrome. They had run a test in the hospital. I don't know the right thing to say to her, I love Kayle and his condition dosen't change any of that for me. I want to be there for her and help as much as possible with out over stepping her boundries ( I am older and a bit motherly). I also don't want to come across down playing her greif or as sympathy. What can I say to help her?

Old 10-06-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
(female)

Lily's mom HB User
Wink Re: I need some advice

Just focus on what you would with any other baby. He/She is a baby first. The worst thing to say is I'm sorry, for some reason it is offensive. My baby has down syndrome, but she has beautiful eyes and a gorgeous smile. She is delayed in some areas, but doing other things very well. Celebrate with your sister as you would with any other baby. If she wants advice she will ask for it. The best thing my older sister did for me was be as excited as I was about the baby. Even though you are all sad and in shock about the new diagnosis, you won't always feel that way.
Best of luck, Lily's mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
(female)

hfalk95 HB User
Smile Re: I need some advice

Thank you. I am very excited I do home childcare and I get to have Kayle everyday. He is a beautiful little peanut.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

brazilman HB User
Re: I need some advice

Well, I think (no, I am sure) Lilly's mom said it all: relax and enjoy your nephew.

On the other hand, remember and remind your sister, if and when appropriate, that children, especially special-need children, need a lot of attention and stimulation. And the earlier it starts, the better. Nutrition is also a vital issue. See to it that your sister manages to breastfeed the baby and when he starts to eat, give him healthy meals. Healthy foods will really make a difference.

And if you have the time, google for this: Mental Clarity: it is a natural medicine made from wild mushrooms. I read in a reliable book on children's care that it was quite suitable for special-need children. The maker's name is New Chapter.

I hope that mentioning a commercial brand is in line with the rules of this board.

Best to all of you,

JC

Old 10-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

hfalk95 HB User

Thank you for the nutrition advice. She is breastfeeding and Kayle lached on right away, he's 2 weeks old now, can babies have problems breastfeeding after they have been succesful at it already?
All the childern I watch eat very healthy, one the state mandates it and two healthy foods are good for all kids
What do OT's do with infants? I'll have a PT and an OT here once a week.

Heather

Old 10-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
(female)

momtofour HB User

Quote:
can babies have problems breastfeeding after they have been succesful at it already?
If you ask most dr.'s babies with ds aren't good nursers. In my experience- I think that as long as the baby is healthy- it's worth a try and I know lots of moms who have successfully breastfed their little ones with ds. I think there can be a lot of different problems ie: heart, GI, tone, etc. But, if your sister enjoys it.. make sure she sees a lacation nurse if any problems occur. They are more than willing to help out and have a lot of resources. At one time, Sadie was burning more calories than she bringing in while nursing. It had to do with her heart. The lacation nurse just told us to do shorter feedings more often and to stay on one breast so she could get the more fatty milk that comes later in the feeding. Also, breastfeeding is really good for their oral motor skills. OT's at a young age help with fine motor, communication, feeding, and oral issues. Good luck and what a great Aunt Kayle has

Old 10-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
(female)

youngmom_2 HB User

When my brother did OT and PT as an infant he was put on his belly a lot to strengthen the arms and neck, etc. He was also put in front of a mirror which he loved! It doesn't seem like they can do much with an infant but really they can. At this stage it will just look like they are playing. They may start sign language now too. I'm not sure when that starts but I know it is early.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #8
(female)

hfalk95 HB User

Kayle as gained 14oz this week, so he's now over 6lbs. I'm happy to hear of the sign laugage, I do a very basic program with the kids here in daycare, I hope to learn more. Thank you for your suport. Heather

Closed Thread