It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

ciara2001 HB User
Lightbulb A Helping Hand Needed

Hi All

I am a student studying Childcare, I have an assignment on Down Syndrome
and am looking for any personal tips/ experiences, that can contribute to my project.i'm a mother myself of a 2 year old and know how motherhood can be be difficult at times but the rewards are worth all the sweat and tears...
I am seeking a greater knowledge on a Down Syndrome individuals needs both at home, daycare settings etc...
So If anyone can help me, I'd be over the moon...

Many Thanks in Advance
Ciara in Ireland

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

hannahph HB User
Re: A Helping Hand Needed

Most babies and kids with Down syndrome are really just like other kids. The only difference is that it might take them longer to reach their developmental milestones.In the first few years of life it is very omportant that they recieve what we refer to in the US as "early intervention" which basically provides therapies to help keep them on track developmentally. This includes such things such as occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy.This is often done in the home or at day care. Once they are around three years old often our children start pre school. Many of our kids have some health issues. Often these are heart related. There can be digestion issues and often frequent respritory illnesses. All in all ,yes, our kids often need a little extra help but it is so worth it.No child has any guarentees in life. I think you will find that if you ask anyone with a child with Down syndrome that although it is difficult sometimes the rewards are so much more. I have learned what is really important in life. I think my life has been much enriched by having my daughter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
(female)

ciara2001 HB User
Re: A Helping Hand Needed

Thanks A Mill for taking the time to help me with this assignment...
Your info very helpful..
Wishing you the best with your lil one..

Cheers Ciara

Closed Thread