It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

Melissa40 HB User
Question Possible DS in grandson

Hi, I'm hoping to get some answers here. My 22 yr old daughter is 31 weeks pregnant and after having another ultrasound today, she has been told that she has a 50% chance of her baby having DS. The last ultrasound they did showed SUA( single umbilical artery), this time it is apparent again and they are being told they baby is on the small side and has no nasal bone, but yet they could see the nose and the white of a bone there. She had to go back in to have an amniocentesis done to determine this for sure. Should she really be having this done, and is it safe to be done at 31 weeks? Anyone else ever have these problems and had a DS baby?

Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Re: Possible DS in grandson

Hi,
I have a Downs Son but I did not know until about an hour after birth, three years later I had gotten pregnet, There was concern if this child was going to be Downs , so I did have an amnio done when I was 16 weeks pregnet, It's very safe when your at the 16 week mark becuase there is an area on the lower left side of the stomach area that the baby is to big to enter. They take the fluid and test it, we had to wait two weeks for the results but it was worth it, I didn't worry the rest of my pregnecy if the baby was downs or not, Plus they have very high tech equipment-Ultra Sound Equipment, the baby picture on the screen is amazing, I actually saw my daughters eye ball. I would have it done, if the baby is downs, you will know and if not, you will be releaved.
Good Luck To You,
Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User
Re: Possible DS in grandson

Amnio's are often done past 30 weeks to determine how developed the baby's lungs are, etc.... so, as far as safety, yes, it's fine.

I question the purpose for it as for diagnosing DS... it takes 2+ weeks to get a chromosome analysis...your daughter could go into labor and have the baby before the test results come back!!!

I understand it can sound frightening... I have been in those shoes, the waiting is awful, not knowing how to envision your future, etc. In this case...I think she's going to be having this baby one way or another. When amnio's are done at 16 weeks, families are given the option to abort. I'm assuming that's not why this testing is being done at this stage of pregnancy...

From my experience...I wouldn't put a WHOLE lot of stock into any results based on an ultrasound.

Good luck... hope all is well...

Angel
Mom to Jared (13) Mosaic Down Syndrome and Hirchsprung's Disease

Closed Thread