It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
(female)

kazyk3 HB User
11 wk old grandson

Hi. I am a new grandmother and my daughter and grandson just moved in with us about 4 weeks ago. I am concerned that he is showing some very mild signs of down syndrome. Can anyone tell me what some of the signs could be other than the very obviously facial features. The biggest thing for me is that he seems to have a very large tongue, it is sticking out of his mouth alot now (i know that some babies are just more fascinated with their tongue).....I guess I just need some guidance as to whether to be conerned enough to mention it to my daughter.

Thanks.

Kazy

Old 11-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
(female)

sistersue HB User
Re: 11 wk old grandson

Congratulations on your new grandson! My husband and I have a 7 year old son with d.s. and he (and his little brother) are the loves of our lives!

I would be very surprised that the o.b. who delivered your grandson( or the pediatrician) wouldn't have mentioned the possibility of d.s. to your daughter when he was born. (There are a lot of babies who sometimes "look" like they may have d.s., but their features change as they grow)

The most definitive way to find out is through a blood test. However, some of the other features are: almond shaped eyes that are slanted, flattened nose, webbed neck, deep crease inside the palm of the hands, low muscle tone, problems eating or sucking (due to low tone in the face) smaller mouth (tongue can often protrude).
Also, a high percentage of babies with d.s. can have heart problems which need to be addressed immediately.
There are also excellent early intervention programs through your community who are available to help with physical, speech and occupational therapy.
There are often local chapters for d.s. as well as the National Down Syndrome Society, a wonderful source for support. ([url]www.ndss.org[/url])

For new parents, having a child with d.s. can be a difficult thing to accept. But with time they will feel an incredible sense of happiness, joy and love.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
(female)

sistersue HB User

Congratulations on your new grandson! My husband and I have a 7 year old son with d.s. and he (and his little brother) are the loves of our lives!

I would be very surprised that the o.b. who delivered your grandson( or the pediatrician) wouldn't have mentioned the possibility of d.s. to your daughter when he was born. (There are a lot of babies who sometimes "look" like they may have d.s., but their features change as they grow)

The most definitive way to find out is through a blood test. However, some of the other features are: almond shaped eyes that are slanted, flattened nose, webbed neck, deep crease inside the palm of the hands, low muscle tone, problems eating or sucking (due to low tone in the face) smaller mouth (tongue can often protrude).
Also, a high percentage of babies with d.s. can have heart problems which need to be addressed immediately.
There are also excellent early intervention programs through your community who are available to help with physical, speech and occupational therapy.
There are often local chapters for d.s. as well as the National Down Syndrome Society, a wonderful source for support. ([url]www.ndss.org[/url])

For new parents, having a child with d.s. can be a difficult thing to accept. But with time they will feel an incredible sense of happiness, joy and love.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Sistersue

Old 11-29-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
(female)

hannahph HB User

Congratulations on your new grandson! Other than a large appearing tounge are there other issues that are concerning you? Maybe we can help you sort it out. Down syndrome is most frequently diagnosed at birth but in some cases it is missed until later. There is a form of Down syndrome called Mosaic Down syndrome where some of the cells in the body are affected but not all. This is not as common but possible. Does he seem to be doing things that are developmentally appropriate?(I know in a four week old that can be questionable though)Are your concerns based only on looks? Is he having any health or feeding issues?

Old 12-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
(female)

angelique5 HB User

There are actually several forms of down syndrome... many people don't know this. One form is called Mosaic Down Syndrome. With this form of it, people have 2 cell lines... some of their cells have the extra 21 chromosome, some are normal 46 chromosome cells. It can be ANY ratio, and that ratio can differ from tissue type to tissue type (ie, there could be more DS cells in skin, than in blood). My reason for explaining that is.... many children with this form of down syndrome, have fewer DS features, or much milder features........i've seen some with NO features at all honestly!!

Many doctors don't see Mosaic Down Syndrome in babies, and they often go undiagnosed for quite a while.

My son was 16 mos old when he was diagnosed.

I think at such a young age.... something you might see is low muscle tone. Is he a very "floppy" baby? I also noticed with my son when he was an infant.... my other children were very alert, they made eye contact with me, they followed objects that they saw....but my son Jared... he would often just kind of zone out on me... hard to make eye contact with him, just kind of had a glazed over look on his tiny lil face. I would tell the doctors repeatedly that I thought something was wrong...we even said DOWN SYNDROME, and our ped's totally blew us off.

Maybe spend a bit more time observing him, his behaviors, notice his muscle tone, etc.... and if you decide to bring it up to your daughter....maybe print out some information off the internet to show to her at the same time?

Good luck!!

Old 12-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

I am also concerned about my 4 month old granddaughter that has her tongue out alot. Her muscle tone seems fine, eats well, but her weght is in the 30th percentile and her length in the 75th percentile. her Head circumference is small too. I have researched all the symptoms of ds and don't really see that she has any of the other physical symptoms except the tongue protrusion. She is a very good, happy baby and has hit almost all of her milestones, some early except rolling over. She also really dislikes tummy time. Any other reasons why she would have this tongue protrusion so much? We noticed it within several weeks of her birth. Thanks for any help.

Closed Thread