It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

kbach67 HB User
Behavior advice needed!!

I am a first year teacher and have 3 students with DS (3rd, 4th grade). One has a history of behavior issues (biting, cursing, running away etc) and the other two were pretty good. Well, now they are showing behaviors. One refuses to come in from recess and is getting increasingly worse at transition and the other is copying the first boy with the history of behavior issues. He has begun to refuse to go to breakfast or lunch, he throws chairs if he doesn't get his way and is cursing now. What are the most effective behavior management strategies. I try to offer choices (walk to breakfast with the aide or me, walk in the front of the line or with a friend etc). I try to give a few minutes warning before trying to line up (with a visual clock) and of course I often try to just distract or change the subject. I will take any and all suggestions!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

kbach67 HB User
Re: Behavior advice needed!!

I hope it doesn't offend anyone that I've posted. I noticed several readings but no responses. I have a child with spina bifida and I know that we moms are the experts!!
I noticed the other day that one of my students is starting the "why" and "how come" so I am wondering if some of his behavior is just developmental (he and my 3 year old have LOTS of similarities now). Truly I welcome any thoughts and suggestions because when I try to talk to some colleagues, they call it the "down's stubborness" and that doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-02-2006 at 07:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User

I'd read your message, and had no immediate ideas!!

...well, actually, I'm still not good for any advice! I've been very fortunate, my son has been very well behaved over the years.

I'm not convinced it's a "down syndrome" thing either... kids with down's have very differing personalities, just like any other kid. I've gone to my son's class though, and watched his personality totally change, and become a bit "show off-y", super silly, etc. But it wasn't anything anyone at school had a problem with....so I wonder if these kids are just testing the waters? Pushing the buttons, seeing what they can get away with?

All I can suggest, is the same as to parent........ be consistent!!

Old 12-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
Well for starter's, the two kids that did behave well before this all started, I would make sure to verbally reward them, tell them they are very good for getting in line, or thank your for being so good today, I'm pround of you-things like that. Now the one with the behavior problem, try to reward him when he is good, praise is so rewarding for DS kids and it is also how you use the tone in your voice. Talk calm to them-I learn this from a specail needs teacher who had more servere children. Talk in a calm tone, specail needs children feed on reaction, so if you yell allot, they feed on that negativity and act out all the more, now if this continues, the one child with the violent behavior-you may have to have to talk to the principe and see if you can get an assinged aid for him only or maybe he needs to move to a different class that has can meet his needs more. We never know what these children's home life is like and that certainly reflect's on there behavior at this age.
Karen

Old 12-30-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
(female)

grapeshoffman HB User

My now 16 year old with DS went through a terrible stage when he transitioned into Middle School. Some of it was exerting his independence, some of it was copy cat behaviors and some of it was other people treating him like a little kid and ordering him around. Once he understood the consequences of his behavior (ex: meeting with the principal who laid down the law) he came around. But it was a tough year all around. I think that if you give the children too many choices, they get confused. We have found that a simple choice of two things ex: come to lunch now or sit in the principle's office was enough for him to handle at one time.

Closed Thread