It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

JUDY1954 HB User
Wink Down Syndrome Story/ Italy Or Holland

I AM OFTEN ASKED TO DESCRIBE THE EXPERIENCE OF RAISING A CHILD WITH DOWN SYNDROME. TO TRY TO HELP PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT SHARED THAT UNIQUE EXPERIENCE TO UNDERSTAND IT, TO IMAGINE HOW IT WOULD FEEL. ITS LIKE THIS::: WHEN YOUR GOING TO HAVE A BABY, ITS LIKE PLANNING A FABULOUR VACATION TRIP - TO ITALY. YOU BUY A BUNCH OF GUIDE - BOOKS AND MAKE YOUR WONDERFUL PLANS. THE COLISEUM, THE MICHAELANGELO DAVID. THE GONDOLAS IN VENICE. YOU MAY LEARN SOME HANDY PHRASES IN ITALIAN. ITS ALL VERY EXCITING. AFTER MONTHS OF EAGER ANTICIPATION, THE DAY FINALLY ARRIVES. YOU PACK YOUR BAGS AND OFF YOU GO. SEVERAL HOURS LATER, THE PLANE LANDS. THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT COMES AND SAYS, "WELCOME TO HOLLAND". "HOLLAND" YOU SAY. WHAT DO YOU MEAN HOLLAND? I SIGNED UP FOR ITALY! BUT THERE'S BEEN A CHANGE IN THE FLIGHT PLAN. THEY'VE LANDED IN HOLLAND AND THERE YOU MUST STAY. THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT THEY HAVEN'T TAKEN YOU TO A HORRIBLE, DISGUSTING, FILTHY PLACE, FULL OF PESTILENCE, FAMINE AND DISEASE. ITS JUST A DIFFERENT PLACE. IT'S SLOWER PACED THAN ITALY, LESS FLASHY THAN ITALY. BUT YOU'VE BEEN THERE FOR A WHILE AND YOU CATCH YOUR BREATH, YOU LOOK AROUND AND YOU BEGIN TO NOTICE THAT HOLLDAND HAS WINDMILLS, HOLLAND HAS TULIPS. HOLLAND EVEN HAS REMBRANDTS. BUT EVERYONE YOU KNOW IS BUSY COMING AND GOING FROM ITALY, AND THEY'RE ALL BRAGGING ABOUT WHAT A WONDERFUL TIME THEY HAD THERE. AND FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, YOU WILL SAY, YES, THATS WHERE I WAS SUPPOSE TO GO, THATS WHAT I HAD PLANNED. AND THE PAIR OF THAT WILL NEVER EVER GO AWAY, BECAUSE THE LOSS OF THAT DREAM IS A SIGNIFICANT LOSS. BUT IF YOU SPEND YOUR LIFE MOURNING THE FACT THAT YOU DIDN'T GET TO ITALY, YOU MAY NEVER BE FREE TO ENJOY THE VERY SPECIAL, THE LOVELY THINGS ABOUT HOLLAND "NOW: MY SON HAS DOWNS SYNDROME AND HE IS 52 YEARS OLD. HE KNOWS NO STRANGERS, BLESSES ANYONE HE COMES IN CONTACT WITH. HE IS AN ANGLE FROM HEAVEN, AND HAS BROUGHT US MUCH HAPPINESS

Last edited by JUDY1954; 12-15-2006 at 08:58 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to JUDY1954 For This Useful Post:
Mammaw1234 (08-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
(female)

Logansmom2 HB User
Re: Down Syndrome Story/ Italy Or Holland

I love what you wrote, very touching. I also have a son that is down syndrome and he is the best thing (besides my other two children of course)that has ever happened to me!

Closed Thread