It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
(female)

JELLOLEGS HB User
down syndrome

i'm a mother of a 19 year old son with ds. i wouldn't trade him for anything. we just went through all of the guardianship stuff and the ssi last year.i'm getting a little nervous now because he will graduating in 2008 and i've always felt at ease because he's in school, but now it's getting close to going out into the real world. how did other mothers feel when their child went through this?? by the way my sons name is brandon.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Re: down syndrome

Hi,
I'm going threw the same thing except my son is done with school, I'm on the waiting list for a social worker, so right now he is going to Easter Seals twice a week, he takes ceramics and goes bowling. Right now my son is recoving from Endocarditis, so as soon as he is 100% back on his feet again I want to get him in more programs. I do volunteer ar Easter seals, allot of them do work during the day, some go to adult day programs, the only problems with some of these programs is they are very expensive and you need to get funding from the state, In Wisconsin it is called Kipp Funding and there is a waiting list for that. I cannot leave my son home alone, He is on a moderate level, so I'm hoping by June I will hopefully get him in some kind of program during the day so I can work, if not I'm going to have to quit my Job which is not so great because I carry the Health insurance benifits, My husband is self employed, So I'm stessing out about this just a little, If we have to get health insurance by our self it will be so expensive. One more thing what ever program you place your son in, go there yourself and check it out, some places are unsafe and the specail needs are not being taking care of or treated proberly. That is the scary part, Every step we go threw with a DS child is a big ordeal, we have to make the right choices for them because they cannot do it them selves.
Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread