It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

Sharlee95 HB User
Advice with teen ds

I need some advice with a 16yr old DS. Grandparents are saying your treating her to normal, she's not normal. She's a high fuction young lady, she is able to do and preform many things for herself. How would you suggest to deal with this? Every one else is saying that you should treat with with a degree of being normal. The ultimate goal for her is to have a sense of independence and confidence to do things for herself. thanks in advance

Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Smile Re: Advice with teen ds

Hi,
Well it sounds to me like your doing everything right. I have a DS son who is now 21, When he was a teenager, he had rules and was corrected just like the rest of my kids. He did get some slack on certain things but other than that no, we want him to do well just like the rest of the kids, He has to work twice as hard and tiwce as long to achieve some of those goals but it's for his own benift. Right now he is not in two many programs, he just finished having Endocarditis, so basically for two months he was deathly ill. We just started Easter Seals bowling and ceramics this week.
Sometimes people want to pamper these Children-(like Your Grandparents), I've been down that road with my family, but you do what you think is best, you know your child better than anyone else, you know what they can and cannot do. They never stop learning and even now, my son who is 21-he is always learning new words and learning new things, they never stop.
Karen W.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread