It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
(male)

Trenton HB User
Could this be a sign of Down Syndrome??

My wife and I have a 5 month old daughter who has 2 bowed-out pinkies on her hand. Some nurses at my wife's work say that this could be a sign of Down Syndrome. Could it be possible?? The rest of my daughter seems to be physically fine. She was one month premature but weighed 6 lbs, 6 oz. She had to have help with her breathing with a respirator for 2 weeks but was given a clean bill of health after that and came home. She's at a stage where she doesn't sleep a whole lot and she seems to have some stomach pains (colic?) but most of the time she seems very happy and content. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

thanks everyone!
Trenton

Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
(female)

loll HB User
Re: Could this be a sign of Down Syndrome??

hi there, i think you would know if your baby did have down's syndrome. there are lots of 'markers' to look for such as flat nasal bridge, epicanthic folds on the eyes , single palmer creases as well as crooked pinkies. although these signs togeather can point to DS it is quite common for people to have them but not have down's.if your doctor was concerned your baby would have been given a blood test to check.my baby boy does have down's and he's a little darling! just enjoy your little one because they grow up too fast

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Fillin HB User

There are other syndromes which are associated with the bowed out pinky. You might want to do some research on it. I would speak to your doctor about it.

Lisa

Old 03-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

terras1mom HB User

No honey, it has nothing to do with Down's Syndrome. You'd have been told at birth she had Down's, it's very obvious. Go to your doctor and have her check out your Angel's hands. But it has nothing to do with Downs!

Old 03-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
(female)

mrsqueen HB User

Hi there! Bowed pinkies are a characteristic associated with Down Syndrome. Some Down's kiddos have very few characteristics. There are two Pediatricians in our local Down Sydrome support group that are married and did not know that their daughter had Down Syndrome until she was 6 months old. She simply was not thriving like their other children had as babies. A simple blood test will give you a definate answer as to whether or not your baby has Down Syndrome.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
(male)

Britt/Tard HB User

Ah don't think it's teh down's.

Closed Thread