It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
(female)

Suzy's Zoo HB User
Anyone hear of an Adult with DS that can't keep food down?

My sister with DS who is 43 years old has lost 50 pounds. She will only eat soft foods like pudding, mashed potaoes, sometimes rice, some juice's, and I have her on nutritional drinks. After she is done eating a lot of it comes back up? She has had MRI's CT's, Colon Opapsy, and other test and she is on reflux meds and it still comes up. The doctor says it is because she is down syndrome? Just a year ago she would eat anything and loved food. Has anyone had this problem?

Last edited by Suzy's Zoo; 03-19-2007 at 11:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
(female)

mrsqueen HB User
Re: Anyone hear of an Adult with DS that can't keep food down?

Never heard of that, but I'm a nurse and worked a long term care unit for awhile. We'd make milkshakes out of the nutritional drinks with ice cream and add peanut butter for the protein and fat and FLAVOR, (those drinks don't always taste the best). You get a lot of calories in too. There has to be a reason for the problem, and I can't believe that the Dr. just chalked it up to Down Syndrome. I'd see another Dr. for a second opinion. Best Wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
(female)

Suzy's Zoo HB User

Thank you for the wishes, I am trying to find the best recipe for a drink I can make for her. She was in ER yesterday for chest pains, her heart is fine. The doctor that treated her at the hospital said I should find another doctor, which I have been searching for daily.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

lkw49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy's Zoo View Post
My sister with DS who is 43 years old has lost 50 pounds. She will only eat soft foods like pudding, mashed potaoes, sometimes rice, some juice's, and I have her on nutritional drinks. After she is done eating a lot of it comes back up? She has had MRI's CT's, Colon Opapsy, and other test and she is on reflux meds and it still comes up. The doctor says it is because she is down syndrome? Just a year ago she would eat anything and loved food. Has anyone had this problem?

Last edited by lkw49; 04-11-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Closed Thread