It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

paresse HB User
is low birth-weight a marker for Downs?

Do infants born with Down Syndrome have a lower birth weight? Do moms who have given birth to kids with Downs feel anything was different during that pregnancy?

As my due date approaches rapidly I keep on thinking my child may have Down Syndrome and I just need to be prepared mentally for it.

The only marker I had was the echo focis which appeared on all the US. The baby has also consistently measured small for gestational age - in the 10 - 20 percentile. I did not do the amnio nor the triple screen or quad tests. I went through a period of really bad OBs.

I appreciate any information you may have.
Thanks.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

momtofour HB User
Re: is low birth-weight a marker for Downs?

My daughter was two days late and 6lbs. 6oz. She was my smallest but not by much. I've heard about half and half. Some are really small, some really big, most average. A few were premature- but I'm not sure what this means compared to typical births. The problem was weight gain. Sadie dropped over a pound and took about 8 weeks to get to her birth weight. Then it was a slow process until she finally had surgery at 14 months. She only weighed 12 1/2 lbs at 13 months. She is now one month from 3 and is 24 lbs.!!! Good luck and surround yourself with people who are positive and know what they are doing. I spent 3-5 days a week at the lacation nurses office.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

paresse HB User

Thanks for your reply.
I am so terrified of the unknown and worried I won't have the strength to handle complications. I've always been overly sensitive and emotional. Fortunately my DH is an amazing and incredibly supportive individual and I could not imagine a better person to go through any ordeal with. My due date is approaching fast, only a couple of days away and I'm just getting nervous.
If I had to do it all over I would have gotten an amnio to be better prepared for whatever the outcome is. I really wish the medical field wasn't so preocuppied with issues of malpractice and actually gave real advice when it came to testing. I met with a genetic counselor around my 21st week who just gave me odds (1 in 100+) but would NOT suggest whether I should do the amnio! What am I paying them for??
I'm sorry for the rant. Btw.. I love the name Sadie, it's one of the names i've been thinking all along for my baby.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

momtofour HB User

Good luck on the upcoming birth. My husband felt the same way, he wished he had known ahead of time to prepare. I was glad to deal with it when she was in my arms and I had already fallen in love with her. Sadie is my fourth girl.. I had never heard the name before I had her (except for dogs or a horse) but now it is getting more popular. I know a handful of little sweeties named Sadie. Let us know when you have your baby.. and hopefully you won't have to worry about down syndrome. But, if you do... it will be ok. Infact, it will be more than ok. There are so many resources out there and so much support. I was so scared when I had Sadie, now everyday I thank God she came to our family. She is such a blessing and I couldn't imagine my life without her.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
(male)

Britt/Tard HB User

I would just get her tested for teh trisomy.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

scaper HB User

You'll have the strength when you need it. You'll be a Mom - and having that inner strength is just one of the things Moms do.
When my son was born he was a week late & weighed 6lb 11oz. We had not a clue that he would have DS .... and I'm glad I didn't know. I would have been scared and worried about all the what if's and I would not have been able to enjoy the pregnancy. Yes, it came as quite a shock to us - yet somewhere deep inside ... I did already know. The only "sign" that something might be wrong prior to his delivery was that he never moved much - and when he did, it was very faint, just a flutter was all. That will soon be 8 years ago. Today, he don't sit still long at all.
I can understand your anxiety .... just enjoy the last few days of your pregnancy, and comfort yourself in knowing that only for this short time will your baby's world revolve around nothing but you.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
(female)

mrsqueen HB User

Hey! I had a very normal pregnancy, all of my ultrasounds were normal. My Dr. never suspected Down Syndrome. We were all suprised when he was born, and even then they weren't sure. He was born within 12 minutes, and his face was swollen and bruised. So, they did the blood work and we found out when he was 6 days old that he did have it. The first two weeks were a little rough, going to the Dr.'s every other day to weigh him, etc., but now he's a year old and has had no problems. He is very healthy and has developed like a "typical" kiddo should. My advice is just try to relax and take it day by day. (((((hugs))))))

Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
(female)

Callista HB User

With low birth weight, you have to remember: If the mom is small, the child will be small... if the siblings were small, the child will be small... the majority of mild-moderate low birth weight are healthy... The important thing (if you look at the ultrasound) is to make sure the head is growing normally; the body can catch up afterwards if it needs to.

Last edited by Callista; 06-28-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Closed Thread