It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

hfalk95 HB User
Life's Blessings

It's been 8 months since my first post and it feels like it was 10 years ago. when kayle (my nefew) was born and dignosed with DS I was sad, scared and didn't know how to help my sister. The advice I was given and reading posts from other people was a tremendous help. The best advice I recieved was to just treat kayle like any other baby and the Welcome to Holand story.

As I look at kayle sitting on the floor (sitting up all by himself) playing with a toy and he looks over at me with his big blue eyes and begins to babble, I am reminded of how children are life's little blessings. I don't see his disablity, I see the magic of a baby finding his feet and discoving how good they taste or the look you get when you introduce a new tasting food he's not sure he likes but keeps eating. My favorite is the look of true love on his face when he come in in the morning and the way he grabs my face(and sometimes hair) to give me a big (wet) kiss.

My Point is I'm not scared, sad or unsure anymore. My sister is an amazing mom, my nefew is a beautiful amazing baby boy and I think I'm doing a good job as suppoetive sister and loving aunt. Thank you to all the loving families who share here and for those who are new to a dignosis of DS ;those overwhelming feeling fade and the love and Joy of children florish ( at least for us this was the case).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
(female)

scaper HB User
Re: Life's Blessings

You are so very correct. The fear does fade, and so does the hurt and yes, even disappointment. Every accomplishment, every discovery is so celebrated. Life to our special angels is to celebrate and enjoy. I'm so often reminded of the everyday joys that I simply overlook - just like when we're getting out of the car at night, and I'm just focused on just getting into the house to end another hectic day - my little 7 yr old boy (who too has DS) never misses the opportunity to look up and say " dite nite tars, dite nite moo" and then I look up and think, yes, it is a good night.

Keep enjoying your little man - he's lucky to have such a great Aunt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
You will find allot of joy with your nephew. Once thing I'd like to add is, that every accomplishment they make is such a rewarding expiernce. I can remember the day my DS son rode his bike iwth our training wheels, I cried, I never thought he would be able to accompish that goal, he was so determind because his brothers didn't have training wheels on there bike and he wanted to be just like them. The neighbors clapped of him and shared his joy. Now roller skating was a disaster, I would not recom end it.
Karen W.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
(female)

hfalk95 HB User

Thank you for your replies Ladies, I enjoy reading the love you all have for your little ones and the good stories.
Heather

Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
(female)

mojogal HB User

Here Here! I have an 10 year old daughter with DS. When I found out I was scared and wondered if I would be able to raise a daughter with special needs and honestly doubting my ability as a mother. She is a ray of sunshine in my life as well as many others. Sure I had dreams like everyone for a healthy "normal" child. So I changed them. No big deal! They were to let her be "OK"..she had many medical issues. She has defied the odds so many times; a true testament to her strength and zest for life. I don't know what I do without her and enjoy every day with her. All the things I say about her can be said about my other children (and vice versa) who do not have DS nor any other "special need". She truly is one of Life's Blessings.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
(female)

scaper HB User

So true mojogal. Both mine are Angels equal. Their relationship as siblings (he's 8 w/ DS .... she's 14 & in a gifted program at our local public school) is nothing short of inspirational. I didn't know what it would do to bring a child with special needs into our family .... but it's been an absolute Life's Blessing to us all. The "why me" that I felt at first has been totally replaced with the "why me" - What could I have ever done to deseved such a gift from God.

Closed Thread