It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
(male)

maxsenger HB User
my lil sister with ds??

i am not sure if my lil sister has down syndrome. her head is kinda flat from the back. she sticks her tongue out alot. she moves her pupils from side to side in a rapid way.. are these DS symptoms??? she makes a weird noise while breathing. she was, i think a couple of weeks premature. she spent about a month in the hospital because of the breathing problem, but doctors never found what it was and said it wasnt dangerous so she came back home.. by the way she is 5 months old, i would appreciate any replies, thanks

Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Re: my lil sister with ds??

Hi,
Yes she dose have some of the signs but I truely believe that the Doctors would have picked up on it. If she is physically and mentally developing according to where she sound be for her age, she is fine. What dose your Mom think of this, dose she think possable DS??
Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
(female)

Callista HB User

Hmm... usually they are diagnosed long before 5 months. DS kids are usually lagging behind by then (they have a longer developmental schedule so the milestones will be later). I wouldn't worry if your sister is on schedule or just a little behind. An early breathing problem can cause a bit of a lag in development, if she had to spend a month learning to breathe. Also, count in any prematurity when you look at her development; judge it from the time she should've been born.

Of course, your little sis needs her siblings, whatever she might be diagnosed with. Play with her, love her... she's be better off when people connect with her and interact with her, no matter what kind of medical jargon the docs spout.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
(female)

PrettyInPink310 HB User

A tell-tale sign of a child with Down Sydrome is a crease across the palm of her hand. You and I have a few, but they aren't connected across our palm. Down Syndrome is typically determined at birth because it often has very visable signs.

Kids come in all shapes and sizes. I think that if it was DS your doctor would have caught it probably before she was even born. I've noticed that since there is such a strong push towards babies sleeping on their backs at bedtime, often the back of their heads are a little flat.

You're such a good big sister for being so vigilent. Like the other members said, the best you can do for her (with or without DS) is to simply love her and play with her... that's all little sisters need!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
(female)

oiler853 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsenger View Post
i am not sure if my lil sister has down syndrome. her head is kinda flat from the back. she sticks her tongue out alot. she moves her pupils from side to side in a rapid way.. are these DS symptoms??? she makes a weird noise while breathing. she was, i think a couple of weeks premature. she spent about a month in the hospital because of the breathing problem, but doctors never found what it was and said it wasnt dangerous so she came back home.. by the way she is 5 months old, i would appreciate any replies, thanks
How is everything with your sister? I have a son with D.S. He is seven

Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
(male)

maxsenger HB User

i know for sure that she has DS now. but i dont care , i still love her, she is so adorable. the breathing problem is now almost gone. i have learned to accept her how she is. well yeah thanks to all of you guys who replied.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
(female)

scaper HB User

Your little sister will love having you as a big brother .... maybe even best friend. Love her. Play with her. Challenge her to be all that she can be -- but most importantly, accept her for who she is, your little Sister. Keep us posted on her progress.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
(female)

Imajeanation HB User

I've found children with Down Syndrome rank among the most loving and dear people in the whole world. Very huggable kids. I thought you would like to know that! Sounds like you're the best big brother this little girl could have!

Last edited by Imajeanation; 07-18-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Closed Thread