It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

Callista HB User
Fragile X

I have Asperger Syndrome, which is a type of autism. Recently, there was a study done on Fragile X syndrome in mice. They were able to reverse some of the symptoms in the young mice.

Fragile X is a genetic problem that causes mental retardation and autistic symptoms. In boys, it almost inevitably results in mental retardation; in girls, only about a third of the time.

I would like to talk to people with Fragile X, or parents of people with Fragile X. I want to know more about it. It seems like autistic and Fragile X people might have things in common, and maybe we can help each other. I know already that the disability rights movement is much more well-established among people with Down syndrome and other forms of developmental delay, like Fragile X; and I think we need some of the same things. Obviously, people who have been in the "advocacy" business longer could show us the ropes.

Obviously, because Fragile X is associated with autism, this study interests me greatly. I'm not looking for a cure, because my autism is part of my personality; but to know the cause of something is to know more about it, to know its effects... If I knew more about Fragile X syndrome, especially in girls when it isn't associated with developmental delay (presumably leaving only the autistic symptoms), I might learn more about autism, and thus, more about myself.

Does anybody know where I can get more information on this syndrome?

Last edited by moderator2; 07-04-2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: asking members to violate the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Fillin HB User
Re: Fragile X

Hi, Actually though, autism is just one of the charateristics of Fragile X.

Lisa

Last edited by moderator2; 07-04-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: promoting other forums

Closed Thread