It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

Jackie73 HB User
Niece w/ DS????

My adorable 4 month old niece has some DS "symptoms" but not all of the typical ones. She has a simian crease on one palm, was diagnosed w/ congenital hypothyroidism, and has epicantal folds (folds under her eyes). But, she's hitting all of her milestones. Do you think she could have DS??? Are there different degrees of DS? My brother hasn't mentioned any concern nor has her doctor. But, there's just something very subtle in her appearance and she has the above symptoms. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Jackie73; 08-09-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
(female)

momtofour HB User
Re: Niece w/ DS????

I've seen many children I thought had ds.. and didn't. However, I also know quite a few families whose children were not dx with ds until several months old. I'm surprised with the health issues she already has, they haven't at least looked at that possibility. There are many different characteristics of ds and I haven't meet one child with all of them. There is also something called mosiac ds that means not every cell in the body is affected with the extra chromosome. I would ask for a blood test (it is easy and takes anywhere between 24 hours to 2 weeks to get back) to put her mind to ease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread