HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Down Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/down-syndrome/)
-   -   Help with Agressive Down Syndrome Boy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/down-syndrome/524642-help-agressive-down-syndrome-boy.html)

Pianobench96 08-12-2007 02:11 PM

Help with Agressive Down Syndrome Boy

I have an 11 year old son with Down Syndrome and am getting desperate to find someone who has the same issues I have. All my friends children with Down Syndrome are very Docile. My son speaks and communicates well but very little works for discipline. He is too big now to force into time out or pick up and remove if he is haveing a temper tantrum. He can size up anyone who can't handle him and that is when he acts up. Unfortunately, I, his mother, am one of these people. His immediate response to anything is no. If he gets mad enough he will hit and destroy things. He is still at the stage where he likes to grab everything and throw it on the floor especially if he knows it will aggravate me. These issues crop up at school as well. He has been in early intervention from birth and we have tried every behavior plan suggested with some success but the older he gets the worse it is for me. Has anyone had a 180 experience either with a radical behavior plan or medication. He has some real impulse control problems. I am willing to try almost anything. I need to be there for my other two boys and can't take all my time trying to manage his behavior. Any advise will be much appreciated.

PianoBench96

scaper 08-13-2007 10:05 PM

Re: Help with Agressive Down Syndrome Boy

What seems to send him into a tantrum? Is it just when he is being disciplined or when he gets frusterated with something or ? My little guy is 8 - and is getting to be quite head strong, but I've not had any real discipline problems. I am starting to get back talk though, but for now, he can be pretty easily stopped - at least he does for me, his Sister, however, doesn't get the same respect. Like your Son, mine, is a pretty good judge of whom he can get more resistant with & who he can't.

Karen W. 08-20-2007 09:07 PM

Hello,
I know where you coming from and how you feel, My son is now 21 years old and he is a very sweet wonderful, fun and funny type of person but we did have problems in the past from about the are of 12 years old until he was about 17, I blame allot of it on puberty, there hormones are bouching off the walls and they connot handle it. When my son did have his anger issue's I found out that how "Me " as a person who was there at the time would respond to his tamtrum. I found out that alking to him in a very calm tone would help, when you raise your voice or would talk in a very stern tone, it would anger him more. When I would talk to him, I would keep my distance, for one -My safty and two-not to croud him. I would use this phras often, I would say, Now David, I know your a nice guy, yep you are but I'm not seeing him right now, can you find him for me, or David-your such a great guy, could you put down what is in you hand and come and help me do something. The key is to get his anger off his mind. It hard and your also worry about when he is at school-will something happen. I had talked to my sons doctor at the time regarding his anger issues, she siad allot of DS or specail needs can be put of some medication to help with there agner issues but if it is not all the time, medication is not an option. David's was not all the time. Have you talked you your sons Doctor about this??
Karen

Karen W. 08-20-2007 09:23 PM

One more thing I would like to add, talking in a calm tone of voice I actually learned from his middle school teacher, He said he learned that when he would talk to them in a calm tone, they would all remain calm, more relaxed, he said -all these kids are going threw puderlty and a regular kids who do not have a disability don't handle it well-why should they.
Karen