It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

wendy62 HB User
Question Lack of impulse control and complete potty training affecting 1st grade

My 6 year old daughter (with DS) is having problems starting 1st grade in an EMD classroom because of lack of impulse control (running away and putting things in her mouth) and complete potty training (does go some times). Her teacher is talking about having her placement reevaluated. Of course, we're concerned about the school system placing her in an environment that won't offer her enough education vs. training.

Do you have any suggestions for how we (parents) can fix these behaviors now? Her impulse control has REALLY improved over the past year, as far as we are concerned, but the teacher is extremely concerned from a safety standpoint.

When I first met the teacher, I told her that our daughters safety (running away) was our major concern at the new school, but as the teacher experienced it first hand, she is overwhelmed.

And the potty training is VERY frustrating!! She will sometimes initiate, sometimes go when directed, and then completely refuse and fight us other times. Urinating is the easiest, but BMs are almost always done in her diaper.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User
Re: Lack of impulse control and complete potty training affecting 1st grade

Much like the girl we have in our daycare. She is 5 and completely potty trained. She has accidents, but then so do the others in her class. So we regularly say. Time to go potty, to all the children often, they try... if they canít go they all try. I guess with her age group it is no longer part of the system to keep asking that. If they have to go, they will tell you. So with your daughter not being one to communicate as easily as the others in her class, I bet accidents happen more often.. I would ask the teacher to say at cretin times. ďso and so.. time to go pottyĒ and let her go. If she understands most of the time she will listen and try. She might just need to be directed.

As for the impulse control, Iím not sure, Iím at a lost myself for that. I know some schools will have a child with DS in a class, and one teacher who is trained to work with only her. If you only have one teacher taking care of a whole class its not going to work. But if you have a teacher just for her. I think that will work better for her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
(female)

EmilysMom4 HB User

The school system is supposed to provide an aide for your child to help her to be successful in the chosen setting (LRE), if necessary. The aide or teacher needs to very consistent about reinforcing positive behaviors and using discipline for negative behaviors. When my daughter with DS was in first grade (she was actually 7 because we held her back a year), she had a teacher who established the positive and negative consequences early in the year and Emily learned pretty quickly to comply. She did have bad days when she was impulsive occassionally. She is in 4th grade now--the problems have changed so much.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
(female)

wendy62 HB User

Thanks for the response! I'm hoping as time goes on, she will settle into the routine that her teacher is trying to create.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
(female)

wendy62 HB User
Wink Re: Lack of impulse control and complete potty training affecting 1st grade

Emily's mom --

There is a meeting scheduled for today that includes me, the teacher, other school reps, and school system reps. This meeting should have taken place before school started, but my daughter's assignment wasn't in place until a week before school started. I've asked her teacher from last year to attend, since she is very familiar with the procedure and what was discussed at the last IEP and transition meeting with the school system reps.

And I have to ask, how have the "problems changed so much" since your daughter was 7? I always want to be prepared!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilysMom4 View Post
The school system is supposed to provide an aide for your child to help her to be successful in the chosen setting (LRE), if necessary. The aide or teacher needs to very consistent about reinforcing positive behaviors and using discipline for negative behaviors. When my daughter with DS was in first grade (she was actually 7 because we held her back a year), she had a teacher who established the positive and negative consequences early in the year and Emily learned pretty quickly to comply. She did have bad days when she was impulsive occassionally. She is in 4th grade now--the problems have changed so much.

Closed Thread