It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
(female)

hope14 HB User
downs syndrome behavior

downs syndrome behavior my son has been talking to himself after he has a huge fit and has to be hold down until he is calm. his fits doesnt happen much but when it does its a big screaming and seems like he's ready to hit back. But the talking to what i think to someone that is not there is becoming more frequently. Any idea what i can do

Old 02-08-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
(female)

jamiehandy76 HB User
down syndrome behavior

My 5 year does a lot of pushing and hitting to her friends at school. (for no reason). Any advice on how to help her not do that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

ashmegmom HB User
Re: down syndrome behavior

My daughter did this also when she was younger. I do think there was a reason and it was because she wanted to interact with them but wasn't sure how. Also they could not understand her when she tried to talk to them. My daughter had an aide who would tell her that hurt the other child and made her say sorry. They would tell her to use her words and help her say Hi or Please or whatever fit the situation. She is now 11 years old and the only thing that has come up recently was her putting her feet out to trip a boy that walked by. I think we may be entering another phase but I believe it may just include the boys!!

Carla

Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
(female)

brookside HB User
Re: down syndrome behavior

My son had problems like that in pre-school for special needs children. I visited a few times and saw that they had paired him up with a child who did those behaviors. Also, I noted that things were done to him and since he couldn't communicate well he would just strike out and they would see what he did but not what was done to him. If anyone's child is having problems at school it is really important to be able to visit the program and get a feel for what goes on - you might be surprised - I sure was on more than one visit. Also, there is no behavior that I would class as "Down syndrome behavior".

Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
(female)

brookside HB User
Re: downs syndrome behavior

I had this problem several years ago. My son is now 21 years old. I used to have to basically sit on him because he was so strong and would hit/kick me and/or our wonderful dog. His communication skills were never very good but he would hiss words when he was angry and I believe it was more self talk than anything else. I have seen a lot of "normal" kids and people do the same thing.

Closed Thread