It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
(female)

maryalice666 HB User
16 year old high functioning downs with self-esteem problems

I am a teacher of a downs syndrome student and he is so smart, but he just makes really poor judgment. He love girls, but sometimes goes overboard with his advances. He tells people that he drinks and does drugs and even brought a large amount of money today to impress people.
I want to treat him normally, but want him to understand that he does not need to impress people. The parents are really worried about this behavior, but I am thinking that it is normal for a guy his age. What do you think?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Re: 16 year old high functioning downs with self-esteem problems

Hello,
I have a down syndrome son who is 22 years old The problem is -They trust everyone, to bad the world we live in is not a trusting place. You need to explain to him that there are allot of nice students at the school but there are also some we cannot trust, explain to him that if some of these students see your money, they might take it and not ever get it back. Have a talk about what drugs and drinking can do, why he should not do them at all. Some times you just have to lay the cards out on the table, we live in a rough world, telling him the truth will only help him.
Karen W.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen W. View Post
Hello,
I have a down syndrome son who is 22 years old The problem is -They trust everyone, to bad the world we live in is not a trusting place. You need to explain to him that there are allot of nice students at the school but there are also some we cannot trust, explain to him that if some of these students see your money, they might take it and not ever get it back. Have a talk about what drugs and drinking can do, why he should not do them at all. Some times you just have to lay the cards out on the table, we live in a rough world, telling him the truth will only help him.
Karen W.
One more thing I'd lke to add, my son liked girls and he got himself in a little trouble, they had co-ed gym, he would slap the girls on there butts.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
(female)

maryalice666 HB User

Thanks, we have had problems with that too, pursuing girls agressively. He is so smart. He takes regular math classes and doing very well. I'm so proud of him.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Smile Re: 16 year old high functioning downs with self-esteem problems

Hello,
He sounds wonderfull, The reason I had said to be straight to the point with the drugs and drinking and also the girls is-he could get himself in allot of trouble, if you tell them the truth and in some ways put the fear into him, he will understand and chances are-will not do it again. DS kids and adult are very influenced by other people and like I said, they trust everyone. I wish we lived in a trust worthy world but we are far from that, Dose he live in an area where there are dances and activitys for people with specail needs, such as easter seals or specail olympics? I know easter seals offers dances , bowling and other activities. You have to check out the programs before you attend, some are for high funtioning and some are for very low funtiong. I found out one time when we went to a dance, we got there and they were all in wheels chairs, now I know that there is others dances offered fot high funtiong special needs who dance up a storm. Allot of these people work everyday, some even drives cars but they are truth worthy and honest-no drugs, no drinking- They have a wonderful time.
Karen W.

Closed Thread