It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
(female)

TAofDowns HB User
coping with behaviour

I have a 12 year old girl with Down Syndrome in my class.
A year ago she was what i would call 'typical' Down's - cute and cuddly at times, very stubborn at times, and occasionally spitting and swearing if upset.

Now her behaviour has changed. she is agressive, verbal, nasty to the other children, and totally non-compliant.

her periods started when she was 10 so I cannot blame new hormones. does any else experience these constant negative behaviours? Is it part of her condition? is it just a phase? She is making my life a misery. her mother has mental health issues and is struggling too. Help!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Re: coping with behaviour

Hello,
When my son was in middle school, he is downs, the teacher he had always talked in a real calm voice, he would play soothing music for the teens in the afternoon, I had asked him one day, Is your personality always this calm? He said it has to be when you have specail needs teens all day. He said if you talk in a calm voice and create a calm enviroment-it helps,very difficult age for any teen but when there specail needs they don't know how to handle it, there hormons and tempers bounch off these walls.
My son did go threw a rough period, if I would raise my voice it would make it worse, So I tried the calm tone in my voice, I would say-"David I know you can be a really nice guy-right? But not picking up you jacket is not so nice sooooooooooo do you think you can show me how nice you are and pick it up? Some times it all on how you word it.
You do have to be careful, some specail needs do get aggresive and violent, Now if you cannot get anyware with this girls behavior issues you my want to have a family member take her to the doctor, many are put on meds, I know you had said her mother has some issues also, is there a father in her life who is involved. You can also get help from a socail worker who is for the specail needs in your school district. I can recall this one girl in my sons class, she was so dirty, I don't think she recieved a bath for a month or two, The socail worker set up a meeting with the parent and together they worked parenting skills like teaching her daughter to bath ,another idea is to have the school phycoligst evaluate her ot have her m-teamed.
Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread